Sign in to follow this  
Mulesaw

Shotgun chaps with tooled yokes

Since making the set of purple chaps, I have been interested in making another set. 

Gustav participated in a large jumping competition around Christmas time, and it was uncomfortable cold, so I suggested to him that I made hi a set of chaps. He accepted but he wanted them dark brown so they would match the tack for the horse, white stitches, and there was to be absolutely no bling or fringes etc. whatsoever. He would be using them while riding and also while he is teaching riding to others.

I purchased some oiled leather that I figured would look and work fine as riding chaps.
Last year I bought the Tandy chaps pattern pack, and I started measuring on him to get a good fit. I made the yokes out of some veg tan that I had, and despite the no bling restraints, I decided that a discreet basket weave didn't fall into that category.

It was my first real attempt of making a basket weave, and I think it came out OK. The sewing was done on my old patcher, and I had put some heat shrink tube on the feet to avoid them marring the surface. There was still sufficiently grip in that they could transport the material.

Laura generously posed as a model for the photos since they were to become a Christmas present for Gustav, so he couldn't see them as soon as they were completed, that's why they are a bit too long and also a bit wide around the waist.

He liked them and has used them when it has been really cold, but he commented that he thought the basket weave was well into the bling category!!! 
I think that he'll get used to the basket weave and I'll just have to continue my quest for finding someone who want me to make a set of batwings with fringes and all :-) 

AA058CAD-84A6-45E1-9CFE-396E27423521.thumb.JPG.a92d58ae10b2b56fcc5607ac32696dc2.JPG

AB57B3D9-AEF3-4ECB-ADA1-58B073C70C9A.thumb.JPG.8ff1c4572dcc2daefc7e804ad8591fb8.JPG

B858EEDA-181E-40B3-98C3-CB10E7ECE3C4.JPG.a7039690dbe2f3e03d675ac0b2865a63.JPG

D00E90BD-89A7-4435-A0C0-EF84765EEEF4.JPG.43aac0e1ec957f82b3f4d3b46dd2a9ee.JPG

IMG_3863.jpg.b8217c08602ffbc26835963edcb93fe9.jpg

IMG_3865.jpg.87eb3c96c19338989feff8e217bec1a1.jpg

IMG_3866.jpg.1f8eebe8ff1fe2e4158ec0cab837ce9c.jpg

29 minutes ago, Mulesaw said:

Since making the set of purple chaps, I have been interested in making another set. 

Gustav participated in a large jumping competition around Christmas time, and it was uncomfortable cold, so I suggested to him that I made hi a set of chaps. He accepted but he wanted them dark brown so they would match the tack for the horse, white stitches, and there was to be absolutely no bling or fringes etc. whatsoever. He would be using them while riding and also while he is teaching riding to others.

I purchased some oiled leather that I figured would look and work fine as riding chaps.
Last year I bought the Tandy chaps pattern pack, and I started measuring on him to get a good fit. I made the yokes out of some veg tan that I had, and despite the no bling restraints, I decided that a discreet basket weave didn't fall into that category.

It was my first real attempt of making a basket weave, and I think it came out OK. The sewing was done on my old patcher, and I had put some heat shrink tube on the feet to avoid them marring the surface. There was still sufficiently grip in that they could transport the material.

Laura generously posed as a model for the photos since they were to become a Christmas present for Gustav, so he couldn't see them as soon as they were completed, that's why they are a bit too long and also a bit wide around the waist.

He liked them and has used them when it has been really cold, but he commented that he thought the basket weave was well into the bling category!!! 
I think that he'll get used to the basket weave and I'll just have to continue my quest for finding someone who want me to make a set of batwings with fringes and all :-) 

AA058CAD-84A6-45E1-9CFE-396E27423521.thumb.JPG.a92d58ae10b2b56fcc5607ac32696dc2.JPG

AB57B3D9-AEF3-4ECB-ADA1-58B073C70C9A.thumb.JPG.8ff1c4572dcc2daefc7e804ad8591fb8.JPG

B858EEDA-181E-40B3-98C3-CB10E7ECE3C4.JPG.a7039690dbe2f3e03d675ac0b2865a63.JPG

D00E90BD-89A7-4435-A0C0-EF84765EEEF4.JPG.43aac0e1ec957f82b3f4d3b46dd2a9ee.JPG

IMG_3863.jpg.b8217c08602ffbc26835963edcb93fe9.jpg

IMG_3865.jpg.87eb3c96c19338989feff8e217bec1a1.jpg

IMG_3866.jpg.1f8eebe8ff1fe2e4158ec0cab837ce9c.jpg

very nice @Mulesaw!  I think the basket weave looks great. 

They look good to me

I used to wear a pair of those riding my Harley. The cowboy type straight from the local bootshop. I liked them much better than those from motorcycle shops.

those look great my friend!!!!

@PastorBob Thanks a lot. I think the most difficult thing was to not get the weave to "wander off" , but I could feel that at the end of the second yoke, it was all more natural compared to the start.

@doubleh Thanks a lot. I have never used chaps for riding my motorcycle. I normally use bibbed leather overalls, they seem to fit better with the semi crouched riding style on my 1973 Moto Guzzi V7 Sport.

@chuck123wapati Thanks a lot Chuck, I have to ask my son really serious if he would prefer me to make him another set with dark brown yokes and no tooling at all. In that case Laura can get those :-) 

Looking GOOD! I've been wanting to make a pair of angora chaps.

60922b7410d94af2e130960c703ba2af--cowboy-gear-rodeo-cowboys - Copy.jpg

@tsunkasapa Thanks, I'll have to show Laura those angora chaps, I bet she would love a set like them too. 

I wonder if they are hairy on the back side as well, or if it is just on the front/sides?

@Mulesaw Well done Sir !!!!!!

8 hours ago, Mulesaw said:

@tsunkasapa Thanks, I'll have to show Laura those angora chaps, I bet she would love a set like them too. 

I wonder if they are hairy on the back side as well, or if it is just on the front/sides?

No, just on the front. 'Woolies' are frequently made as batwings and are lined with canvas.

Yup........what he said.  Mine were lined with pillow ticking/mattress ticking.  My partner's were lined with light canvas, both were tough.  Another pair that hung in the bunkhouse were pretty patched up woolen blanket, old Army blanket wool.  An old North Dakota Swede had made them in 1923 (same year my mom was born).  All of ours were dark Angora.

10 hours ago, Gezzer said:

@Mulesaw Well done Sir !!!!!!

Thank you so much :-)

4 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

No, just on the front. 'Woolies' are frequently made as batwings and are lined with canvas.

Now that would mean that I finally had an excuse to make a set of batwings! 

It sounds like an interesting construction, as I see it there must be a regular set of batwings, then all lined on the inside with canvas and in addition to that wool on the front. 

Just now, Mulesaw said:

It sounds like an interesting construction, as I see it there must be a regular set of batwings, then all lined on the inside with canvas and in addition to that wool on the front. 

No, the ones I've seen are just the goatskin lined with the fabric.

3 hours ago, MikeRock said:

Yup........what he said.  Mine were lined with pillow ticking/mattress ticking.  My partner's were lined with light canvas, both were tough.  Another pair that hung in the bunkhouse were pretty patched up woolen blanket, old Army blanket wool.  An old North Dakota Swede had made them in 1923 (same year my mom was born).  All of ours were dark Angora.

It is funny how we can remember specific things like clothing, even so many years after. I can still remember some of the jackets I wore as a kid, I don't know why that is. I know my wife commented on it at some time that she felt it was one of the things that really made it worth while knitting a sweater or a set of socks since it was so much appreciated by me. 
And on the other hand I can frequently forget other stuff, so it is not that I remember everything. But my own guess is that some how deep down our brain registers warm clothes as something that helps to keep us warm and safe and alive. (I am getting a bit philosophical here).

I don't know if I can find some Angora fleece, but there is regularly lambs fleece available, so I'd probably just make some out of that.

7 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

No, the ones I've seen are just the goatskin lined with the fabric.

hmmm, now you got me confused :-) 

If there is only hair on the front, then is the back of the goat skin "shaved" or is the back of the batwings just the canvas? 
I have never seen a pair, so I have absolutely no idea, and when I googled images of woolies, all the pictures showed them from the front. 

Front side......Angora goat hair........then Angora goat skin........ two sides of same goat hide....then the lining is sewed on, only around the edges.  Goat skin is more fragile than cow, the lining prevents undue wear and stress on the skin.  

Good looking chaps, @Mulesaw!  Smart looking tooling and stitching.  I like your maker's logo as well.

@TomE Thanks for the nice words :-) 

I think the logo is pretty good looking as well, especially on this light veg tan. 

The sewing was all done on my old patcher, but it did an admirable job I think.

Brgds

Jonas