Mrstsb

Singer 211G256 questions

I've just been very lucky and picked this machine up. I've posted some photos and have a couple of questions at the moment ( I'm sure there will be more as I don't know anything about these)

1- What does the 256 number mean on the model number, Can't seem to find any info on this model or manuals. Can find 211g146, 211g151 etc, there are lots of different models but all are 211's?

2- What is the felt oil pad for ( I've drawn a red ring round it)? Can I remove it and put a different guide there? I don't want oil marks on the material.

I must point out that I've taken the hook, feet, feed dogs off for cleaning. I've just got to work out how to re time it.

IMG_20230126_113313.jpg

IMG_20230126_113330.jpg

singer1.jpg

The experts will chime in with definitive info. I'm guessing the 211G256 is a 211G156 with lubricated hook but I could be wrong.  Ive had a 211G166 for a while.  I used Uwe's video to time mine.  Wonderful tool. 

Thank you for that. I've watched some of Uwe's videos before and have found them very helpful and informative

The 211w156 is the walking foot with reverse.  I’d guess the 256 has the oiling felt thread guide and the take up lever with the strange hood - we can’t see it, but I’m guessing you have the big bobbin.   The “G” is made in Germany while the “W” machines are made in the US.

Here’s a manual that should work.

https://www.supsew.com/download/Singer/Singer 211G155, 211G156 Service Manual.pdf

4 hours ago, DonInReno said:

The 211w156 is the walking foot with reverse.  I’d guess the 256 has the oiling felt thread guide and the take up lever with the strange hood - we can’t see it, but I’m guessing you have the big bobbin.   The “G” is made in Germany while the “W” machines are made in the US.

https://www.supsew.com/download/Singer/Singer 211G155, 211G156 Service Manual.pdf

Thank you for the link. 

Could I ask- what is the point of the "oiling felt thread guide"

21 minutes ago, Mrstsb said:

Could I ask- what is the point of the "oiling felt thread guide"

That felt is to hold liquid silicon thread lube or sewing machine oil to lubricate the thread when it gets overheated while sewing at 2200 stitches per minute. Upholsterers usually run these machines flat out at their top speed. Smoke will come off the hot needle and melt nylon thread unless it is lubricated or oiled.

If you aren't going to operate your machine at top speed, you don't need to concern yourself with the felt insert. But, if your needle starts getting squeaky in tough leather, add some liquid silicon lube to the felt with an eyedropper. Thread lube is sold by our advertising dealers, like @CowboyBob

1 hour ago, Wizcrafts said:

That felt is to hold liquid silicon thread lube or sewing machine oil to lubricate the thread when it gets overheated while sewing at 2200 stitches per minute. Upholsterers usually run these machines flat out at their top speed. Smoke will come off the hot needle and melt nylon thread unless it is lubricated or oiled.

If you aren't going to operate your machine at top speed, you don't need to concern yourself with the felt insert. But, if your needle starts getting squeaky in tough leather, add some liquid silicon lube to the felt with an eyedropper. Thread lube is sold by our advertising dealers, like @CowboyBob

Well there is no chance of me ever sewing at that speed so I can safely get rid of the felt, but thanks for the information. I'd be worried that the oil would stain the material you are sewing

They have non-staining oil for this purpose.   My Juki collects oil on the needle.  There's an oil pump that pumps into the hook and all the way into the front where the needle is.  It collects over time. Once I wipe the needle, I don't notice it again till it sits for awhile. 

I agree that if you're not sewing things like vinyl quickly, you probably don't need it. 

On 1/27/2023 at 9:17 AM, DonInReno said:

the 155 and 156 were for domestic sales. the 255 and 256 were for export.

16 hours ago, shoepatcher said:

the 155 and 156 were for domestic sales. the 255 and 256 were for export.

That makes sense - there’s very little information on it.