needlesnpins

Another person looking for machine advice

Hi, everyone. I’m a seamstress looking for a compound feed machine. I’ve read a lot about them on this forum (very informative!) but I’m still overwhelmed, and thought I’d ask for some advice.

This would be my first walking foot machine. I currently own a 20 year old Viking Designer II, and a singer 201-2, both of which I use almost daily.

I do a lot of work with upholstery fabrics and needlepoint canvas, and occasionally leather and vinyl. Thicker/heavier fabrics, but often delicate at the same time. Most of the time my two machines handle my work just fine, but occasionally I’ll get a project (like a bag with shoulder strap or a cushion with heavy cording) that requires me to sew through several layers of heavy fabric, or over big bumps in the fabric, and I end up with a lot of messy/skipped stitches. I'd like a machine that will handle these situations and give me more professional results.

I’m not sure what my best option would be - I have limited space, which I guess could be remedied with a short table? Price is another consideration - partly because it’s a machine I’d only be using occasionally, and partly because working as a seamstress is a lousy way to get rich. I’m looking for a used machine, hopefully under $1000.

I only know of one dealer locally (in Philadelphia), and they didn’t respond when I tried to contact them.

Any suggestions of what to look for and where would be greatly appreciated!

Define the minimum and maximum thickness you would use on the walking foot machine and the type of material that would be the thickest stack.

As a ferinstance, a Singer 211g156 can actually sew 3/8 of an inch of soft to medium temper leather, vinyl, webbing and denim. I use mine to sew zippers into leather jackets, to hem pants and chaps and to sew stuff that is too thin or lightweight for my Cowboy harness stitcher. This model has a reverse lever to lock the stitches which most of my older machines lack.

18 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

Define the minimum and maximum thickness you would use on the walking foot machine and the type of material that would be the thickest stack.

3/8" is probably as thick as I'd need. Reverse would definitely be a bonus!

19 hours ago, needlesnpins said:

3/8" is probably as thick as I'd need. Reverse would definitely be a bonus!

Based on that I'd recommend a Consew 206RB-5, or any compound feed walking foot machine, like this Cowboy CB1541. The Consew bobbin is accessed under the table, while the Cowboy is accessed from the top. Other than that they both have similar capabilities.

@needlesnpins - FWIW, I love my Consew 206RB-5.  I'm in Canada and got mine, brand new, for $1300 Canadian.  You should be able to get one in the States for about $1000.  And if you find a used one, make sure it has a servo motor.  These are workhorses and if you find a used one, check it out carefully to make sure it hasn't been used in a factory setting and is all beaten up.

I bought a Consew 206rb from a professional curtain and upholstery person - she was replacing it with the newest version of the same machine and had no complaints about its capabilities.

You will find over a dozen different machines from different makers that look surprisingly similar - it’s not your imagination - this is the poster child for the type of machine most upholsterers prefer day in and day out.   You’ll do well with any of the most popular triple feed upholstery class flat bed machines.

If a friend had a $1,000 to $1,500 budget, I’d suggest a used Consew, Juki, Cowboy, or Singer that is maybe 10 to 30 years old, complete and in sewing condition with older looking table and old style of motor - you’ll want at least $100 in specialized presser feet, then spend the last $250 on a new servo motor and speed reducer.   You can always upgrade the top of the table down the road for $200 or so.  

Most professional upholsterers would chastise me for suggesting a speed reducer because speed is money, but every single one of them does a lot of slow speed operations with a lot of manual hand wheel turning in detailed turns and whatnot.   A full speed industrial will operate at twice the speed of the residential machines you’re used to.  A speed reducer greatly reduces manual hand wheeling and can always be bypassed for jobs with long straight seams.   The type of work and the sewing speed you like dictates this, but anyone new to industrial machines will benefit from the reducer.

Getting a good deal on a used machine is often a matter of waiting and scanning both dealers and online - don’t be discouraged if none are available today - next week, or the next, or the next, something too good to pass up will come along.   Just be sure to check to make sure the model is a triple feed - some look similar but are only needle feed or a simple non-walking foot single feed.

Unless it’s a new machine with warrantee, you’ll need to find a knowledgeable industrial service person in case you need a hand with adjustments - not everyone understands industrial machines.

Best of luck - you’ll really enjoy it!

Going rate for a new 206RB-5 seams to be -$1,500-1,600 shipped.

I’d be very interested in knowing where one can be had cheaper.  

Thanks for your input, everyone. It looks like that Consew model comes up pretty frequently on craigslist, so I'll keep my eyes open for a gently used machine at a decent price.

On 1/29/2023 at 12:30 AM, MainiacMatt said:

Going rate for a new 206RB-5 seams to be -$1,500-1,600 shipped.

I’d be very interested in knowing where one can be had cheaper.  

I'm in Canada and bought my 206RB-5 about 2 years ago now, and I paid $1300 Canadian dollars at the time.  Hard to believe that in the US the prices (as you report) are $1500-1600.  But then again, I picked mine up and didn't have to pay shipping.  Depending on how far from the dealer you are, shipping could certainly be several hundred dollars.  Your price converts to about $2,000-2,150 Canadian.  Did the prices really go up that much since Covid?