fredk

Using sinew

Just curious; when would you (me) use sinew or artificial sinew?

The only time I've used sinew in the past was in fixing up an ancient crossbow. I was just replacing like with like on it

Maine Thread Co makes waxed polyester threads in heavy weights, some of which are called artificial sinew.  I've used their 0.040" waxed polycord, doubled up, to sew new girth straps on a saddle and reattach the panel.  Heavy stuff!

IMG_5946.thumb.jpg.7dd4c6008049e8b9c71053c7de3ec332.jpg

I use it making/repairing buckskins for rendezvous.

On 1/26/2023 at 7:14 PM, fredk said:

Just curious; when would you (me) use sinew or artificial sinew?

The only time I've used sinew in the past was in fixing up an ancient crossbow. I was just replacing like with like on it

i use it for period stuff mountain man / rendezvous era around here  and also carry it in my pack its some good stuff out on the trail. . Real sinew is much different stuff to work with i take it off my critters and scrape off the meat, dry it out then it has to be re- hydrated to use. It drys like rawhide and is strong as heck. 

Thank you chaps. Most informative. I've added a spool of artificial sinew to my latest order from Le Prevo. Just to have some on-hand

I used real sinew to make a string for a medieval crossbow. The bow owner supplied the sinew

Real sinew has the advantage of shrinking as it dries, so a seam sewn with wet sinew will tighten. Arctic indigenous groups use this technique for making near-watertight clothing.

It also has the advantage of not requiring the growing and processing of flax, which I imagine was a boon in times and locations where agriculture was not practised. :lol:

the "indigenous groups" Of north America also used it in conjunction with hide glue or glue made from fish skins often as a backing on bows not only for sewing or hafting arrows. I salt mine slightly when drying so i can chew it soft for sewing or using and it tastes better lol.

34 minutes ago, Matt S said:

Real sinew has the advantage of shrinking as it dries, so a seam sewn with wet sinew will tighten. Arctic indigenous groups use this technique for making near-watertight clothing.

It also has the advantage of not requiring the growing and processing of flax, which I imagine was a boon in times and locations where agriculture was not practised. :lol:

"Our Boots" A wonderful book given to me a little while back ,Thank you Mike!!! about the Inuit women's method of making mukluks, states that the sinew is used and sewn dry. they still use it because it swells when wet and seals the holes preventing leakage. They also have a certain stitch that produces a very tightly sealed seam.