Gosut

Checkbook Cover :Leather Weight

This would also apply to long wallets.

This all started because I ordered the wrong weight of leather, 2/3 oz. I looked at it and thought "checkbook cover," and that was my first project. Photos of it are in "Critique My Work."  It's simply one piece of leather for the outside, one piece of leather for the inside, and a cut-out out at the fold in order to form two pockets. I made the inside one piece  in order to have reinforcement on the outside of the folds.

I've used the checkbook cover for five days now, and its developed a noticeable sag in the fold between the reinforcements. I think that's simply due to only one thickness of leather at this location, and that if I hadn't had reinforcements on the edge, the sag wouldn't have happened.

I'm thinking I should have used thicker leather for the outside, maybe 5/6 oz, and made the two inside pockets from 2/3 oz. leather. Is this standard?

On 1/26/2023 at 8:38 PM, Gosut said:

This would also apply to long wallets.

This all started because I ordered the wrong weight of leather, 2/3 oz. I looked at it and thought "checkbook cover," and that was my first project. Photos of it are in "Critique My Work."  It's simply one piece of leather for the outside, one piece of leather for the inside, and a cut-out out at the fold in order to form two pockets. I made the inside one piece  in order to have reinforcement on the outside of the folds.

I've used the checkbook cover for five days now, and its developed a noticeable sag in the fold between the reinforcements. I think that's simply due to only one thickness of leather at this location, and that if I hadn't had reinforcements on the edge, the sag wouldn't have happened.

I'm thinking I should have used thicker leather for the outside, maybe 5/6 oz, and made the two inside pockets from 2/3 oz. leather. Is this standard?

i quickly looked at one of the patterns i have 2  -2 1/2 oz inside and 4 oz on the outside is called for in it. I think you could get by with 5 oz on the outside if you want. oh and it calls for two separate pieces inside for the pockets so no reinforcement along the edge.

To me it depends on many factors.  In other words there isn't a "one size fits all" recommendation.  If you are going to tool the leather, that may impact the weight you choose.  The "hand" of the leather may also play a role.  You mentioned leather "sagging" and that may be a function of the type of leather as much as the thickness.  Some leather is thick and soft and some is thin and remarkably stiff.  They both have their applications but you have to choose the right type for the project requirements.

Having said that, I generally use 4 oz. or thereabouts on the exterior covers and 1 1/2 to 2 oz. or so on the pockets.  And of course when you double up the leather it will help provide some added stability.

If you have the chance, show us a pic of the condition you are talking about.  Might be some other things you could do to add some stiffness such as adding an accent piece on the exterior.  For example:

The Best Checkbook Wallet In 2023 <-- 10 Best Checkbook Covers Reviews

Thanks, all.

An accent piece out of the same weight leather sounds like a good idea; just cut and sew at the fold. I just looked at it to see if I could take a close-up of the sag, and noticed the outside cover is showing more impressions than anticipated just from carrying it. If I had dyed it, it might not be as noticeable.

Something I've fought about is simply cutting slots in the inner piece and gluing it to an outside piece of the same weight. I think, though, that at my absolute beginner level, it might be better to go with the thicker weight for the outside piece and have two separate inside pieces. The one I made is also a little too long for my liking, and I could reduce the width slightly by having no reinforcement on the inside.

Tooling is something I may never get into. It's interesting, and I might could do simple patterns, but nothing beyond that.