Sign in to follow this  
adventureleather

Juki 1341 Hook Hits Needle and Thread Binds

Hello, 

Hoping to find the great sewing machine minds for some help. 

I have a used Juki 1341 and the hook is hitting the feed dog and needle. It seems like there is not enough space for it to turn and pass the needle. 

Is there an adjustment to slide the hook assembly? 

The main issue I had before this was that the thread was binding on the notch as it passes to form the knot. The thread would snag there, clunk and pull up. This made the tension off and knots were not formed. Thread is 207. 

So far I have gone through the timing sequences and needle bar height. Everything looks good there if it didn’t hit the feed dog or needle. 

I will get some videos but for now thought I would start with this. Thanks for the help! 

1 hour ago, adventureleather said:

I have a used Juki 1341 and the hook is hitting the feed dog and needle.

I have attached a manual for the LS-1341 that may help with the "Lateral position of the feed dog" page 4 and page 7 for the "Needle -to - hook timing".

kgg

Juki LS-1340&42 Servcie Manual.pdf

4 hours ago, kgg said:

I have attached a manual for the LS-1341 that may help with the "Lateral position of the feed dog" page 4 and page 7 for the "Needle -to - hook timing".

kgg

Juki LS-1340&42 Servcie Manual.pdf 553.95 kB · 1 download

Thanks so much! That did the trick so far. I was able to move the feed dog over to clear the hook during the rotation. 

Now the original issues persists. I have some videos I’ll share to show. The notch in my throat plate doesn’t leave enough room for the thread to nicely pass by and form the knot. It snags and pulls leaving a bad bottom stitch. Since it is used I wonder if the throat plate is an off make and the notch isn’t normal size. I did try the lever adjustment to position the groove in Uwe’s video but thought no luck. Thanks again! 

1 hour ago, adventureleather said:

Now the original issues persists.

Remember the Juki LS-1341is only rated for V138 top and in the bobbin. Try V207 on top and V138 in the bobbin and see if that works. Also you may want to get a new Juki throat plate to try. It shouldn't be that expensive.

kgg

4 hours ago, kgg said:

Remember the Juki LS-1341is only rated for V138 top and in the bobbin. Try V207 on top and V138 in the bobbin and see if that works. Also you may want to get a new Juki throat plate to try. It shouldn't be that expensive.

kgg

Thanks Kgg, yes I did see that. I have 138 vinymo only right now and the issue persists. Might have to get some eyes on it to try and resolve this. I was thinking that too. Some fresh parts may be something to try. There's a place in Brampton that stocks parts and repairs. Luckily it's not completely broken just not functioning and making leather work unfun haha. Thanks for the input!

2 hours ago, adventureleather said:

Some fresh parts may be something to try. There's a place in Brampton that stocks parts and repairs.

There is another place that has parts called Japan Sewing Machine & Supply Co. ( (905) 764-0100 ) at 146 West Beaver Creek Rd Unit 5, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 1C2 ask for Chris.

kgg

On 1/27/2023 at 5:22 PM, kgg said:

kgg

you can Dremel out the depth of the slot on the underside of the throat plate to let a thicker thread pass.  I use Mitchell cord to do that and then polish out the slot.  Not hard.

glenn 

On 1/28/2023 at 12:14 AM, kgg said:

There is another place that has parts called Japan Sewing Machine & Supply Co. ( (905) 764-0100 ) at 146 West Beaver Creek Rd Unit 5, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 1C2 ask for Chris.

kgg

Thanks I’ll ask if needed. I did see chris once for some needles and foot and he was expensive. At the time I didn’t check and just grabbed them. Didn’t like that. Best to know what I’m getting next time before I pay. 

On 1/28/2023 at 7:28 PM, shoepatcher said:

you can Dremel out the depth of the slot on the underside of the throat plate to let a thicker thread pass.  I use Mitchell cord to do that and then polish out the slot.  Not hard.

glenn 

Thanks Glenn I was thinking the same. Though I’m confused because Juki does list 138 to work. The shop was having issues with thinner thread too a so they’re trying to solve it. Thread is getting cut. Something is out I’m guessing. 

2 hours ago, adventureleather said:

Best to know what I’m getting next time before I pay. 

For future reference you may want to check Wawak ( https://www.wawak.ca/ ) for needles and thread. A lot cheaper then most other suppliers in Ontario with fast delivery. Yesterday I ordered 5 packs of 135 x 16 in size #22, #23, #24 and they are supposed to be here tomorrow.

kgg