Sign in to follow this  
ironwrx

Rivet press recommendation

Hi. My wife sews handbags of cloth, vinyl and leather. These bags often require snaps, grommets, and rivets. Hammer setting these is at times difficult for her, and we’re interested in other options. Can anyone recommend a versatile press to do this kind of work without spending an arm and a leg?

3A6FBCD6-910D-4C80-BC9A-6C6FF8BDD66B.jpeg

I feel your pain.  I have issues keeping both snaps and rivets straight when hammering them into place.  As a hobbyist it is hard to justify a machine when you don't use it very often.  One thing I found works with small rivets is to use pliers instead of the anvil and setting tool.  I have a smooth plier, no knurling for grip that works very well.  I just squeeze and it gets the job done so much easier than with the anvil.  And, as a bonus, it also works in confined spaces where using the anvil is impossible.

I did look on both Amazon and Aliexpress and you can find setting machines in both places for less than $100.00.  As is usual the reviews are all over the place.  

Good luck in your search.  You aren't the only one dissatisfied with the process.

I bought a Tandy press years ago when it was on a very good sale, and love it!   I was also able to get dies for most of what I do on sale by being patient.  Keep the cost and availability of dies in mind if you decide to buy a press.  The Tandy press comes in at $169 right now, but their dies are around $70 and up.   Buckleguy's press is more expensive at $206, but their dies are far more affordable.   

- Bill

@ironwrx - I really like Kamsnaps rivets and their DK93 press (I actually have two of them).  Their service is great and the shipping is reasonable.  I use their grommets, double-cap rivets, line 20 snaps and other stuff I can't remember at the moment.  They have starter bundles that are a good deal but right now it seems they have a sale on the press for about US$75.  Why two presses?  I usually keep a hole punching die installed in one and the appropriate die I need in the other.  Makes it a lot faster especially if you have a lot to do.

2 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

@ironwrx - I really like Kamsnaps rivets and their DK93 press (I actually have two of them).  Their service is great and the shipping is reasonable.  I use their grommets, double-cap rivets, line 20 snaps and other stuff I can't remember at the moment.  They have starter bundles that are a good deal but right now it seems they have a sale on the press for about US$75.  Why two presses?  I usually keep a hole punching die installed in one and the appropriate die I need in the other.  Makes it a lot faster especially if you have a lot to do.

Thanks for that link.  They have some cheaper alternatives for those of us who don't feel the need for a costly machine.  

You can use an arbor press -  I have 3 small ones set up for cutting ends of leather/webbing, cutting holes, and pressing in rivets/press studs. 

They're cheap enough to buy, and make life really easy.