BlackDragon

Marble for tooling score

I had to run a few errands yesterday so I decided to stop off at a countertop store and try my luck at getting a small piece of marble or granite to tool. 

I introduced myself to the supervisor and let him know I did leather work and roughly the size of slab I needed. He took me over to his scrap pile and picked a piece bigger than I asked. I asked him how much he wanted for the piece and he said "No charge, in fact you can have the whole pile if you want it." I thanked him profusely and I took the piece to my car. I then went back and grabbed a bigger piece and I'm going to make a table top for the shop. The smaller piece will be put on another desk for cutting or drawing.

The small piece is 10"x 22"

The big piece is 20"x 25"

20230131_123319.jpg

Edited by BlackDragon

I did something similar several years ago. A neighbor was having granite countertops installed and I got the sink cutout they had done. It was rectangular because of the type of sink they installed.

Grave stone makers is another great place to get free piece of granite for tooling.

good score.  I've been meaning to make a couple stops to stores on the weekend to find a sink cut out, but other activities seem to always prevail.

I also did the scrap granite deal. Tipped the office girl $5 bucks for showingme the scrap pile.

Same here, but my son pulled mine out of a pile they were using for fill on a construction site.

Many moons ago , a fresh  newbie to leather , I got a piece of granite from a stone mason not far from me. I told him what I did, and paid $20 for this chunk of granite off cut, a good 14" square, and a good 3"  thick. Now, the fun part was getting it from his yard to my station wagon........it weighed a ton. The mason must of had a good laugh at me  carrying, fumbling and nearly dropping it . He could at least given me a hand...nup. 

I never used it, too damn heavy, my bench would have collapsed under the weight , lol . But then someone gave me a nice piece of marble almost the same as the big piece pictured, I cut it in half,  just perfect size. I have a spare piece that I  once used for leather demos. 

HS

I got mine from a grave stone maker, also for free. I am planning on giving the nice lady a keyfob with cat picture as a sign of appreciation that shows I put her gift to good use... (only problem is that my tooling skills are nearly non-existent and keyfobs so small)

This is what I came up with for my marble. So much better than the foldable TV table I've been using. :rofl:

20230201_153646.jpg

20230201_153721.jpg

Nice!

15 hours ago, BlackDragon said:

This is what I came up with for my marble.

Thats a beauty and a great set up  too  :specool: ...and how dare you be so neat & tidy  :)

HS

15 hours ago, BlackDragon said:

This is what I came up with for my marble. So much better than the foldable TV table I've been using. :rofl:

20230201_153646.jpg

20230201_153721.jpg

Very nice, love movable tables that can also be locked.