FFBrarnold

Work Lights? Sewing Lights?

Does anyone have work lights that they love?

We have a canvas sewing shop, so a lot of Juki LU 563 machines sewing heavy material. I started buying a lot of the small magnetic mount LED lights from Amazon (always Chinese brands). I find when they are used all day everyday they only last for a few months, very disappointing. I suspect that the great reviews they have are from people who turn them on for when they use a machine (sewing, drilling, etc.) for a few hours at a time. If I am going to keep buying LED workstation lights it would be nice if they lasted a couple years.

I have lit up my entire workshop with 2 windows in the roof (north side) and 4 high quality (CRI 98) 36 W fluorescent tubes - the ones that go in dental labs and permit to judge colours. Would those be an option? 

1 hour ago, Klara said:

I have lit up my entire workshop with 2 windows in the roof (north side) and 4 high quality (CRI 98) 36 W fluorescent tubes - the ones that go in dental labs and permit to judge colours. Would those be an option? 

We have great lighting in the room overall from the ceiling and windows all around. This is more for task specific, like right on the needle of a sewing machine. Something to light up the shadow that is cast by your own body and the machine itself.

If you have some really good ceiling lighting . . . rig up some mirrors on the back side of the machine . . . let the mirror pick up the ceiling light and toss it over to the sewing area.

May God bless,

Dwight

I bought the LED light strips on Amazon. They have a backing that peels off and I attached them to the underside of my Cobra 4 machine. The strips came with a plug in low voltage transformer and you can string as many together as you want. They made a huge difference in being able to see what I am sewing. Best part was they were inexpensive.

This little light came with my Cobra sewing machine and is still working 2 years later, although not in continuous use.  https://leathermachineco.com/product/lda-1-led-magnetic-light/  I also use a Lightbar headlamp around the shop.

On 2/1/2023 at 8:28 AM, FFBrarnold said:

Does anyone have work lights that they love?

We have a canvas sewing shop, so a lot of Juki LU 563 machines sewing heavy material. I started buying a lot of the small magnetic mount LED lights from Amazon (always Chinese brands). I find when they are used all day everyday they only last for a few months, very disappointing. I suspect that the great reviews they have are from people who turn them on for when they use a machine (sewing, drilling, etc.) for a few hours at a time. If I am going to keep buying LED workstation lights it would be nice if they lasted a couple years.

For individual machine work lights I searched for longtime, those little cheep sold, flex-neck China LED light Really Suck. I used to buy them by the dozen. They have cheep thin, and short goose neck. The LED diodes are cheep, and get dimmer on the illumination by the month with use.
  I finally threw all of them in the Trash can. The only sew machine magnetic work lights that I plug into my machines now is the LED model sold by 'ArtisanSew' . Those are the Best available. The LED's are heavy magnet, 'Super Bright' Cob LED diode array, with 'Long Heavy-duty' quality flex goose-neck.

-
2131600_CobbLEDartisan.jpg.24a818be40183f40211e7144e0f3b417.jpg
-