Gosut

Fiebing's Resolene vs Fiebring's Leather Balm for Finish Over Dye

The topic says it all. Have two projects in mind, a belt and a checkbook cover, that I intend to dye with Fiebing's Pro Dye. I used Fiebing's Leather Balm on my first project, and was surprised at how slick it made it. I assume that's from the wax in the mixture. Is Fiebing's Leather Balm sufficient to prevent dye rub-off, or should I use Fiebing's Resolene?

Oh, the dye is to be a shade of brown, not black.

Thanks in advance.

It would be resolene for me. I have never used the leather balm but know that resolene will do the job.

6 hours ago, Gosut said:

The topic says it all. Have two projects in mind, a belt and a checkbook cover, that I intend to dye with Fiebing's Pro Dye. I used Fiebing's Leather Balm on my first project, and was surprised at how slick it made it. I assume that's from the wax in the mixture. Is Fiebing's Leather Balm sufficient to prevent dye rub-off, or should I use Fiebing's Resolene?

Oh, the dye is to be a shade of brown, not black.

Thanks in advance.

I've used both methods and each will work. However, keep in mind that if you use the balm, you need to buff/rub the piece down quite well to remove any excess dye, otherwise, you will get some rub off. You can get away with not rubbing/buffing a piece down as much when using resolene as you are applying a acrylic "shell" over the piece, essentially sealing in any excess dye that you may have not buffed all the way off.

I need to apply Resolene to a large area of leather to seal it.  It is for a lining on a western gun rig I am making.  I have always used sheep skin and have cut the hair down to a lower level.  Has anyone used something else to apply the Resolene.  I am having problems getting sheep skin scraps for doing this.  I am afraid a spong might scratch the leather and daubs are too small.

11 minutes ago, Shenandoah said:

I need to apply Resolene to a large area of leather to seal it.  It is for a lining on a western gun rig I am making.  I have always used sheep skin and have cut the hair down to a lower level.  Has anyone used something else to apply the Resolene.  I am having problems getting sheep skin scraps for doing this.  I am afraid a spong might scratch the leather and daubs are too small.

i use an air brush.

Small paint roller. Low nap

I already air brush my dye's and I prefer applying dye's this way because it is consistent over the entire piece of leather.  Do you thin the Resolene down and if so, what do you use to thin it with.

5 hours ago, Shenandoah said:

This may sound funny . . . but I go to Harbor Freight . . . they sell little 1 inch wide boar hair brushes . . . that are absolutely perfect for Resolene jobs . . . big or small.

You cut the Resolene 50 / 50 with water first . . . stir it up good . . . then just dip the boar brush in it . . . and swirl it around on the project . . .  making sure you "bubble up" the liquid . . . and then brush it all down.

Never have had a problem with doing it this way . . . brushes will last thru 5 or 6 projects . . . more if you rinse them out real good after each project.

May God bless,

Dwight

I use an air brush too, works great, no streaks or runs. also when I buy a small bottle of Resolene I pour the whole bottle into a small mason jar and cut it 50% with distilled water then it's always ready to go...50-50.