MikeRock

contact cement

It's too cold to ship Renia Aqualim contact cement.  Is the Tandy Tanner's Bond decent stuff?  What's a good rubber cement for holding before stitching?  Barge any good yet?  Haven't had a can of that in a loooong time.

Thanks

Mike,

I use Elmore's Rubber cement for temporary bonding.  Removes from grain side easily.  I do not recommend Tandy's Tanner's Bond; it doesn't perform like they say.  I have been using Lyon's contact cement, and it works well.  The original Weldwood contact cement was good, but we can no longer get that in the Nanny State of California.

I was going to recommend Pliobond cement as I used to use it to glue asbestos gaskets and then the material that replaced the asbestos to the cement lining inside steel pipe used used in waterflood lines in the oilfield. This is some seriously good cement. I haven't purchased any in years and just looked it up and it's prices. I am going to stick with Barge's and Weldwood contact cement. Neither have ever failed me in leatherwork and both are much more affordable than Pliobond.

1 hour ago, MikeRock said:

It's too cold to ship Renia Aqualim contact cement.  Is the Tandy Tanner's Bond decent stuff?  What's a good rubber cement for holding before stitching?  Barge any good yet?  Haven't had a can of that in a loooong time.

Thanks

i use weldwood its good stuff and in most hardware stores.

And there we have......Weldwood for the win!!  Thanks guys.  It's in the local Farm and Fleet store.  I've still got a bit of old rubber cement, good for now.

God bless

Dahhhh, correction on contact cement from above post.  It is not Lyon's contact cement, but Master's Contact Cement (with a lion on the label).

I use Weldwood but I thin it down some with Xylene. so far it works great as a thinner, needs to be stirred in really good for a while and makes it much less stringy when getting it out of the can. of course it's thinned so in some applications I put a thin second coat on a few things just to be sure.

35 minutes ago, Burkhardt said:

Places like SLC ship things like the Renia Aqualim  with a heat pack for shipping if you ask for it so it won't freeze.

SLC does ship Renia Aqualim with a heat pack.  They even ship it to Florida with a heat pack; at first I thought it was a desiccant pack and it was going to explode because it was so hot.  :)

Edited by dannyd

If y'all find something that works better than Weldwood . . .  you will have just hit some kind of lottery.

When I put it together with Weldwood . . . it rips the leather if I take two pairs of pliers and pull them apart.

Don't use anything else other than the cheap rubber cement kids use at school . . . keep a bottle of it around for special projects.

AND . . . I got a bottle of ol white glue for an occasional special project that needs it's special touch.  Use it once a year maybe.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Been smelling contact cement for 65 years mostly Formica 140 and don't like it.  Renia Aqualim 315 works just as well without the mess or smell.

If you check the MSDS sheets you may find most contact cement's have one thing in common "the same factory of manufacture".

Just my opinion just mileage may definitely very  :)