Redbeeerd

Leather for hunting backpack

Heya!

I'm having this idea that I want to make a hunting backpack but I'm not sure what kind of leather I should use. It needs to be rugged (duh), waterproof, and... well, green :yes:

I've read the kangaroo leather is extremely tough for its weight. I understand leather needs maintenance to be waterproof (or resistant might be the right word) but are some leathers better than others?

One more thing: I don't want a soft, flimsy backpack, it needs a bit of rigidity.

11 hours ago, Redbeeerd said:

Heya!

I'm having this idea that I want to make a hunting backpack but I'm not sure what kind of leather I should use. It needs to be rugged (duh), waterproof, and... well, green :yes:

I've read the kangaroo leather is extremely tough for its weight. I understand leather needs maintenance to be waterproof (or resistant might be the right word) but are some leathers better than others?

One more thing: I don't want a soft, flimsy backpack, it needs a bit of rigidity.

I would say 4-6 oz veg tan.  Either find some already dyed green or dip dye it.  For the record, I have never made a back pack, but have worked with that weight veg tan and it has good rigidity.  Good luck.

Thanks! I'm stuck browsing premium stuff from Badalassi and Walpier: they have some insanely nice leather! The problem with being a beginner is knowing what works or not, but I think I am getting a hang of it. In this case it is simple though: Im not skilled enough for that kind of leather yet. Veg tan it is but cheaper :)

On 2/2/2023 at 6:53 PM, Redbeeerd said:

Thanks! I'm stuck browsing premium stuff from Badalassi and Walpier: they have some insanely nice leather! The problem with being a beginner is knowing what works or not, but I think I am getting a hang of it. In this case it is simple though: Im not skilled enough for that kind of leather yet. Veg tan it is but cheaper :)

just to let you know they are heavy and not water proof i'm in the process( thinking stage) of building a day pack. I'm leaning toward a pack similar to the old swiss "salt and pepper" military pack, using oil cloth canvas with leather bottom and straps. just finished dying my canvas then i'm gonna make it oil cloth. 

3 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

just to let you know they are heavy and not water proof i'm in the process( thinking stage) of building a day pack. I'm leaning toward a pack similar to the old swiss "salt and pepper" military pack, using oil cloth canvas with leather bottom and straps. just finished dying my canvas then i'm gonna make it oil cloth. 

+1 on your idea chuck.  I think when having to carry hunting pack all day, the ounces add up real quick.  Leather is not light, and is not easy to keep weather proof in wet hunting conditions.  An oil cloth or waxed canvas would probably serve the purpose better, and adding some leather reinforcing could be used to give it a leathercraft aesthetic.