PastorBob

Stamp Tool Holder

@Tim Schroeder Thanks for the inspiration on building a tool holder for my stamps, etc.

I took 12" long pieces of 2x4 and laminated them together to get 24ish inches wide.  I then placed a piece of 1/4" plywood on top and drilled the holes (lots of drilling - nearly 300 holes), then used 3/4" Knotty Alder x 4" around the border.  Not real happy with the way the miter edges turned out on the Alder, nor the chipping along the top of the plywood when I ripped it, but it is serviceable.  The below video captures the holder as I am loading it with stamps.  I think it is sped up by 6 times normal.

HOLE-Y cow!  That's a lot of holes.  Nice way to display them.  The ones where they stand up seem to be popular but they have to be more difficult to locate the ones you need.  

I make a lot of blocks for holding/storing reloading equipment and tools. I use 3/4 inch red oak, laminated to the thickness I need. Layout the holes, drill them on my drill press using a fence I made. Follow with using a roundover router bit on the edges, then finish with polyurethane. They sell pretty well. Here's a block made for some RCBS Little Dandy powder measure rotors, and a block for die/turret storage for a  Lee Classic Turret Press. I've made blocks for leather stamps and tools in the past, guess I need to start making them again.

LD.jpg

4hole.jpg

I made mine with scrap 4x4 fence post and some shelving board.  It fits on my bench.  I told the wife this past week that it's almost time to make a new one, that will extend the width of the bench so that I can put some L brackets on the ends HOOKED under the end of the workbench to avoid drilling the bench to secure the tall structure. :rolleyes:  Also, the extra width will provide MORE space for stamps.  I'd add a few additional shelves and rethink hammer storage, and add slots for mallets.

lighting.thumb.jpg.de5ea345e405636b7be34ac65df5b8ef.jpg

This is my current setup for tooling. I used scrap pieces of wood cut to various sizes for each type of tool. This way I grab just the ones I need from my side table and set them on my worktop.

20230202_101645.jpg

20230202_101956.jpg

2 hours ago, Charley1 said:

I make a lot of blocks for holding/storing reloading equipment and tools. I use 3/4 inch red oak, laminated to the thickness I need. Layout the holes, drill them on my drill press using a fence I made. Follow with using a roundover router bit on the edges, then finish with polyurethane. They sell pretty well. Here's a block made for some RCBS Little Dandy powder measure rotors, and a block for die/turret storage for a  Lee Classic Turret Press. I've made blocks for leather stamps and tools in the past, guess I need to start making them again.

LD.jpg

That one looks awesome - I've tried similar in the past, and never made them look that good!

That is a lot of stamps. I glued some left over two-by stuff together, ran it through the table saw to clean it up, drilled holes in it, and glued a piece of 1/2" plywood to the bottom to close the holes. Then I applied two coats of Min-Wax poly varnish to it and it's held up for many years.

My tool rack is similar to @Brokenolmarine's, probably because I copied and adapted his from when he posted it before.  It mostly works, but there are some tools that don't have a home on the rack.  Maybe I have too many tools?  Nah.  No such thing as too many tools.

WorkSpace2.thumb.jpg.8fec62e1439ebf4e36b0202e76556e22.jpg

These are 2 I have come up with.  The one for the stamping tools is 2 layers of 1x6 with holes in the top board.  The other is a 2$ knife block from goodwill that I drilled to hold various tools I use for punching holes, corners, ect...

20230202_171014.png

20230202_170721.jpg

Dwight, I like the mod to my design of adding the rod for the lacing and thread for hand sewing.  I'll have to add that to mine when I expand the design to cover the width of the workbench, great idea.  I'll use a wooden dowel.  I think I have several.  Very Nice!  I'm liable to add TWO 4x4 blocks to the bottom with an inch break between the groups of holes so I can cluster the types of stamps together.  Shaders, Basketweaves, Camos, etc.  Then slots for the cutters, bevels, etc on the next shelf, and the top few shelves for dyes, paints, etc.  Probably summer.

Actually, I forgot to add the rod to the design, maybe later.  I'll have to find a six foot one. LOL.  But here is the new updated, wider model, I finished this morning.

1866086172_30Donefrontviewloadedup.thumb.jpg.ba22020c1e9771a67d92c21b19c78eaa.jpg

This one is taller than the old one pictured above by a foot, wider by a foot, and has much more room.  Has slots in the tool bar for the mallets, and the shelves are deeper and spaced better.

Looks great.  I may have to build myself another one to add another shelf for the dyes and paints.  Or maybe I'll just use some dowels to attach another shelf on top of the existing one.

Looks like you have room for the thread rod above the tools.  The problem with mine is that when the spools of thread are loaded, pulling some of the tools out of the shelf below it gets a little awkward.  If I do  a rebuild I'll plan on leaving more room between the shelf and the rod.  And I used a piece of aluminum electrical conduit for my rod.  Having a step-son who is an electrician with easy access to "scraps" was pretty much the deciding factor for me.

/dwight

Looks great!!!!

I did have room, finding a dowel long enough was a problem, but Miss T found a replacement mop handle that worked perfectly.  So now the paper towels and thread have a home.

612598906_32addpapertowelholder.thumb.jpg.306cf1ddacea0fbcbef34fbdb3cb9a4a.jpg