Frodo

Better than tokanol

I came buy this on accident 

I was setting my breakfast while finishing a strap I needed to wet the edge of the strap to burnish . I had local unfiltered honey on my biscuit and Inused it on the edge

OMG ‘!!!!

Honey is better than tokonal and will smooth the edge and leave it with a very nice shiny sheen 

1 hour ago, Frodo said:

Honey is better than tokonal and will smooth the edge and leave it with a very nice shiny sheen 

Nice find. Natures choice.

kgg

Nice! Sealing with beeswax is the obvious next step. 

It need sealing or the pissants are going to carry it off. :yeah:

Glue diluted in water has been standard in the UK for over a century. Traditionally gum arabic or hide/pearl/rabbit glue but these days normal white PVA wood glue is more common. It works very quickly, is very long-lasting and so cheap it's pretty much free.

3 hours ago, Frodo said:

I came buy this on accident 

I was setting my breakfast while finishing a strap I needed to wet the edge of the strap to burnish . I had local unfiltered honey on my biscuit and Inused it on the edge

OMG ‘!!!!

Sweeeet!  I tried super shene yesterday only because i was doing a quick sheath out of scraps just doused the thing then thought why not try burnishing while its still damp. And it worked well also.

33 minutes ago, Matt S said:

Glue diluted in water has been standard in the UK for over a century. Traditionally gum arabic or hide/pearl/rabbit glue but these days normal white PVA wood glue is more common. It works very quickly, is very long-lasting and so cheap it's pretty much free.

cool indeed i have been wanting to try making some hide glue now i have a reason. 

ummm, beeswax is honey. Bees consume honey and extrude it as tiny wax platelets which other bees press together to make larger sections of wax. For every 1 pound of wax bees have to consume between approximately 5 and 7 pounds of honey. 

I used to have a recipe for boiling and reducing down fish heads and bones to make a (very smelly) glue. Used to make it and use it in wood working

I hear KY jelly is good for slicking. :lol: I have not tried it!

37 minutes ago, benlilly1 said:

I hear KY jelly is good for slicking. :lol: I have not tried it!

:rofl: i about shot beer out my nose on that one!!

26 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

:rofl: i about shot beer out my nose on that one!!

:yes:No really! I've heard of it being used! Might be worth a try!

glossy mod pudge, gum trag, and water...nothing beats it. Slick when almost dry

Edited by LeatherLegion

At the Cordwainers Technical College we were using dilute PVA in the early 1980s, and being taught by trade experts and factory managers. I still use it on traditional light teathergoods.

On russet or natural hide work I have my own mix of beeswax, carnauba and paraffin wax, rubbed on, and then heated a little, then burnished with a rough cloth.

Some interesting comments in this 2012 thread

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/38654-how-do-i-make-my-own-wax-finish/

Please be aware there are three types of good PVA glue

1. Indoor use / normal grade. With this as soon as an item gets even slightly damp the glue reverts back to being liquid

2. Weather proof. With this the item needs a good wetting before it reverts back to be liquid

3. Outdoor or Marine use. This will not normally revert back to being liquid at any time due to application or immersion in water

afair, all three of these PVA adhesives will release upon application of direct heat on the item, eg by use of a clothes iron on it, or sometimes by placing it in front of a heat source such as a hot gun or space heater

11 hours ago, benlilly1 said:

:yes:No really! I've heard of it being used! Might be worth a try!

i'm sorry it just hit me as funny, but ya gotta wonder what the person was doing when that crossed their minds to try lol. I tried some once but didn't like the taste .........ruined a perfectly good peanut butter sammich lol.

But i would try it too if i had any.

I've heard folks say that astrolube is essentially the same as the old Wyoslick ... so who knows!!

- Bill

6 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

i'm sorry it just hit me as funny, but ya gotta wonder what the person was doing when that crossed their minds to try lol. I tried some once but didn't like the taste .........ruined a perfectly good peanut butter sammich lol.

But i would try it too if i had any.

:rofl: Sorry!

3 hours ago, billybopp said:

I've heard folks say that astrolube is essentially the same as the old Wyoslick ... so who knows!!

- Bill

It may be similar!