I am renovating a bespoke 1940s Guncase by Holland and Holland, UK shotgun manufacturer.
I need to remove, but not to damage the distinctive felt lining, which I presume is glued with animal glue.

Will gentle heat be enough to loosen it, please?

I am no expert, but would guess any attempt to remove the felt will damage it.

Thank you @PastorBob I am inclined to that too, which makes a $300 repair close to $750.
I will do nothing until I am content that I will do no damage

Do  you mean one of the oak boxes with French fit openings for the various parts and barrel sets?  If so, see Huey cases, the might have some advice.

God bless

Thank you @MikeRock It is a wooden case, covered in hide, and fitted to contain the various parts. All of the internal fittings have original purple felt lining throughout the case.
I will check Huey Cases.

https://www.hueycases.net/

I used to know Marv Huey, great product.  Still the best in the USA.  I'm sure they'll tell you the best method of salvaging the felt, if it is possible.  I have my doubts that it is possible to remove and replace the same piece of felt. 

HUEY Oak & Leather rifle case with over case for Dakota 76 Like New

Thank you, Sir, I looked at his work online and will reach out to him.

I’m interested in learning about case making, are there any resources that are recommended to begin learning from? 

12 hours ago, IH460 said:

I’m interested in learning about case making, are there any resources that are recommended to begin learning from? 

the Al stohlman books on case making to start , i think there are three.

30 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

Agreed!  There are three books, and they are excellent.  The projects are mostly outdated (unless you're still using an instamatic camera), but the principles in it are still as valid as ever.

- Bill

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

45 minutes ago, billybopp said:

Agreed!  There are three books, and they are excellent.  The projects are mostly outdated (unless you're still using an instamatic camera), but the principles in it are still as valid as ever.

- Bill

Thank you both, I’ll check these out. Do these cover techniques for classic shotgun cases? 

Edited by IH460

Great, more books for me to find... :)

31 minutes ago, AlZilla said:

Great, more books for me to find... :)

No kidding! 

59 minutes ago, IH460 said:

Thank you both, I’ll check these out. Do these cover techniques for classic shotgun cases? 

Volume III has some scabbards and zippered cases.

They are available from Tandy Leather at $14.99 US each.  https://tandyleather.com/collections/supplies/products/the-art-of-making-leather-cases?variant=31977098838147  They should be available on Amazon as well, but probably more expensive.

- Bill

1 hour ago, billybopp said:

Volume III has some scabbards and zippered cases.

They are available from Tandy Leather at $14.99 US each.  https://tandyleather.com/collections/supplies/products/the-art-of-making-leather-cases?variant=31977098838147  They should be available on Amazon as well, but probably more expensive.

- Bill

Thanks Bill, do you know if it details leather covered hardwood cases with felt interiors? 

17 minutes ago, IH460 said:

Thanks Bill, do you know if it details leather covered hardwood cases with felt interiors? 

box cases are in book three, they don't specifically show a shotgun case but the techniques are the same.

If the felt is glued on with hide glue, it might come loose with steam or hot water, but that might also damage or stain the felt.  Depending on the age of the case, H&H guns have been around for a very long time, hide glue is probably the glue used. If it’s a newer case it’s more likely they used a more modern contact glue, which would be very difficult to remove without damaging the felt.  I’m not sure if you have the gun that the case goes to, but like old firearms restoring them usually hurts their value. If there is a place that you can try the steam method that won’t detract from the whole, I’d try a small section to see if it works.  Best of luck. 

box cases are in book three, they don't specifically show a shotgun case but the techniques are the same.

Great, thank you for the clarification. 

On 4/9/2023 at 4:57 PM, CharleyS said:

If the felt is glued on with hide glue, it might come loose with steam or hot water, but that might also damage or stain the felt.  Depending on the age of the case, H&H guns have been around for a very long time, hide glue is probably the glue used. If it’s a newer case it’s more likely they used a more modern contact glue, which would be very difficult to remove without damaging the felt.  I’m not sure if you have the gun that the case goes to, but like old firearms restoring them usually hurts their value. If there is a place that you can try the steam method that won’t detract from the whole, I’d try a small section to see if it works.  Best of luck. 

Thank you @CharleyS That is what I tried and it worked.
I have some photographs of the repairs that I will post soon.
I actually used a very low heat hair dryer to do a test piece, and it started to give, so I steamed it.
Thank you for the comprehensive reply.
Harry

Thank you all for your very helpful comments, Al Stolman was one of my first points of call, I got all three case books in the 1980s, but none was for a felt lined case, unfortunately.

I will post the repair later, but have not been on the board for a while, as I was getting no notifications.
Harry