Widnerkj

Made myself a belt I can wear

So, I went with a double layer.  8oz belt blank from tandy, and 4oz strap, Glued and stitched.  And it is slightly wonky, but it's my first go. and it fits.  Also, I'm never saddle stitching that much ever again by hand with it just in my lap.  No stain, just neetsfoot oil, and saddle soap.  Honestly, I seriously like the way it came out.  Dressing the edge is a process. and I'll get there.  But like I said, I'm really satisficed with how it came out.

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpg.7d8ddcf2b02b91ad9ef6b54d05634d4b.jpg

Edited by Widnerkj
extra photo.

Looks darn good!

I feel you on hand stitching belts, it's a commitment!

I made myself a stitching pony, makes all the difference. I saw various designs on the net and took what I liked and made various mods.

1782249244_mylilponyc.thumb.jpg.79bc51b169460d75a3c54036a7f2fa55.jpg

Note that I put a swivel base on mine.  I put the wings under my legs and can turn the vertical center to see both sides or turn the project completely around if need be. 

I didn't want to use just a wing nut, I cut the wooden oversize wing and just tapped the nut into it.  tightening it just pulls the nut farther in.  I did put wood glue around the edges of the nut after tapping it out and then pulling it back in to seat it.

I put thick leather on the jaws to pad them, don't want to scar a project while sewing it.

An late addition after the first few uses, were the magnets on either side to hold the threaded needles anytime I needed to put them down.  I DIDN'T countersink them intentionally, so that the needles were easier to retrieve when I was ready.  This works well.

I may decide to make a base for it to allow it to sit on the floor, and I can put my feet on the base and hold it in position.  A future project.  I'll use clamps to attach it to the base so it can still be used watching TV on the sofa etc.

good lookin belt!

I like the belt. I made myself a single layer, did the basket weave.  No real amount of stitching, just the buckle end.

I have made a couple of hats that each have about a hundred miles of stitching, so I understand what you're saying. My next hat I'm going to try sewing it on one of my sewing machines I've accumulated. Another learning curve to navigate.

Great lookin Belt. I'm gonna have to try one some day :yes:

That turned out sharp.  May want to get a smaller punch for the holes, look like they may be bigger than necessary for that buckle prong.

Edited by PastorBob

Very nice! And one of the big reasons I sprung for a cobra!

Looks good. I hand stitch all my belts, around 4hrs for the stitching. Machine stitch is fine but doesn't look as good. The belt holes seem like the easiest part but it's taken me some time to develop a system that gets them perfect. Even though you don't really see them or notice a little variation, it is my pet peeve and because I do high end belts they must be near perfect for me to be happy.