JohannaT

1895-Singer 29 Walking Foot not Lifting

Hi! I'm new to this site and to sewing machines in general, so please bear with me, in case, I've made any mistakes concerning etiquette...

Ok, so I recently bought a Singer 29-class sewing machine which was sitting in a woodworking shop for the last few years. I cleaned everything up, put it back together exactly the way it was and now it's running quite smoothly...my only problem is, that the walking foot just moves forwards and backwards and won't lift, so it just sews in place. I can't tell the exact model, but according to ismacs.net and the Singer Serial DB-App, it was built in 1895 (no other information about it though). It's probably worth mentioning, that it's European and was located near Vienna though. As far as I can tell, it's similar to a 29-4, at least concerning the mechanisms on the back of the machine. If anybody knows anything, I'd be very glad to hear from you! Thank you all in advance!

IMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1032.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

Move this slider to the left that in crease the foot lift. The further left the higher the foot lift.

If that does nor help pleas post pictures of where the presses foot is mounted.

Bild1.jpg

Edited by Constabulary

On 2/4/2023 at 12:34 PM, Constabulary said:

Move this slider to the left that in crease the foot lift. The further left the higher the foot lift.

If that does nor help pleas post pictures of where the presses foot is mounted.

Bild1.jpg

Hi! Thank you for your reply! I've moved the mentioned part around, sadly there is no change...I think the problem is, that this piece isn't moving up high enough/doesn't create enough pressure upwards, to actually move anything. Do these pictures help? If not, I can disassemble the whole thing next week :)

Thank you again! 

IMG_1036.jpg

IMG_1042.jpg

IMG_1037.jpg

Your photos are too dark to make out the actual position of the sliding block. It looks to me like it is all the way to the right, which is the zero lift position. I recommend moving it as far to the left as it will go (towards the back end where the balance wheel is). The torsion spring it moves along is narrow at the adjustment end, then abruptly widens along the back. Slide the block until it stops at the wider point along the spring and tighten it down. If there is still too little lift, either the sliding block bottom point is badly worn, or the shaft underneath that pushes up against it is installed incorrectly, or is totally worn down. That shaft pivots on the front side of the head.

51 minutes ago, Northmount said:

@Wizcrafts  I adjusted the shadows/highlights.  Do they help you?

Thanks NM. They do help. As I suspected, the sliding block needs to move all the way to the left to be activated. It is currently sitting all the way to the right. If after moving it to the left it still doesn't lift high enough, A piece of rubber or vinyl tubing could be slid over the lifting lever that pushes up on the block. Once good contact has been achieved, the block can be positioned for the best lift. I usually set mine so it clears the top layer by at least 1/16 inch.

This is where you have the slider (far to the right)

IMG_8646.thumb.JPG.b0004a93ca330ef8db9865604f7afa12.JPG

This is where you want the slider (far to the left) - the further left the slider is the higher the foot lift. For moving the slider you have to loosen the wing nut or in your case the small lever on the slider.

IMG_8647.thumb.JPG.efbbadd2e2b252dfb51b113f513c9852.JPG

On 2/6/2023 at 12:29 AM, Constabulary said:

This is where you have the slider (far to the right)

IMG_8646.thumb.JPG.b0004a93ca330ef8db9865604f7afa12.JPG

This is where you want the slider (far to the left) - the further left the slider is the higher the foot lift. For moving the slider you have to loosen the wing nut or in your case the small lever on the slider.

IMG_8647.thumb.JPG.efbbadd2e2b252dfb51b113f513c9852.JPG

I just bought 29k2 sewing machine few parts are missing also missing the whole assembly showing in your pictures could you please tell me if I can buy this part it looks like a leaf spring and looks like easy to make one please guide me.

Thanks