Sasho

Oil viscosity

As it says, what viscosity would you suggest for slower operating machine. 

Thicker will be better for my adler 69?

Currently have 32 and 22 so I was wondering which would be more beneficial for the machine 

Thank you

2 hours ago, Sasho said:

Currently have 32 and 22 so I was wondering which would be more beneficial for the machine 

Which oil would be best for your machine, check the recommendation of the manufacturer for that particular machine. I think Adler recommends DA-68 for your machine. I don't know what the weight cross over is for this oil.

The 32 and 22 I  assume you are referring to is ISO 32 and ISO 22. The equivalent SAE for ISO 32 would be 10W and ISO 22 would be 5W. Sewing machine oil is a 5W white mineral oil that has a light viscosity that doesn't accumulate on the gears of machine.  In my own machines I use a blend of synthetic oils but I am willing to take all the risks of not using sewing machine oil that the manufacture recommends.

kgg

I did some research a while ago and it indicated that the commonly used oil (Lily White) is a light hydraulic oil, ISO 22 or 32 (seems to depend on the manufacturer). I couldn't find that when I was looking and bought a slightly heavier hydraulic oil but it works fine. Don't get yourself into flap over it, either of those you have will be ok, I doubt if the machine will complain.

I have seen ISO 68 oil specified for some sewing machines as well. The number here refers to the viscosity at 40 C. You can get the same kind of white mineral oil up to ISO 150. Motor oil got some more additives, that you do not want in a sewing machine, and it typically have got a viscosity of about 100 at 40 C. A higher viscosity will make the bearings carry the load better at lower speed, but the loses and heat up of the oil may get unacceptable for higher speeds. If the machine have got an oil pump and some centralized systems to distributes oil around, then you should stick to what the manufacturer recommend. I use some ISO 100 oil in two of my vintage sewing machine, that I use for heavier loads and for lower speeds than it may have been designed for. The machine would normally use ISO 22. It is no big deal for you to alter the oil type with respect to your use of the machine.

The old factory machines I have probably sewed balls-to-the-wall 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week for 50 years on nothing but common ordinary Lilly white sewing oil.   Oil it often and the chances of ever wearing one out are slim at best.

15 minutes ago, DonInReno said:

The old factory machines I have probably sewed balls-to-the-wall 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week for 50 years on nothing but common ordinary Lilly white sewing oil.

In my area an old time repair guy uses transmission oil in machines when the owner wants the sewing speed increased to keep up with the operators to better get rid of machine heat buildup.

kgg

43 minutes ago, kgg said:

In my area an old time repair guy uses transmission oil in machines when the owner wants the sewing speed increased to keep up with the operators to better get rid of machine heat buildup.

kgg

The wife wife would have my clothes and belongings piled on the front lawn if she smelled transmission oil in the house coming from a sewing machine.  Lol

1 hour ago, kgg said:

kgg

Transmission oil has a pungent smell that’s close to cat urine, I really don’t want that smell in my leather shop.

13 minutes ago, Doc Reaper said:

Transmission oil has a pungent smell that’s close to cat urine, I really don’t want that smell in my leather shop.

The synthetic transmission or motor oils have very little if any more odor then sewing machine oil these days.

kgg