jrny4wrd

Fenice airbrush

I was told that Tandy's ECO-FLO is toxic to use with an airbrush. Something about the chemistry. Anybody know if Fenice can be used with an airbrush? Are they the same, only under a different label?

1 hour ago, jrny4wrd said:

I was told that Tandy's ECO-FLO is toxic to use with an airbrush. Something about the chemistry. Anybody know if Fenice can be used with an airbrush? Are they the same, only under a different label?

get the msds sheet don't rely on what people "tell" you about any chemicals. https://archpdfs.lps.org/Chemicals/Leather-Dye_Tandy.pdf

Yes, beware what people say.  They can say all sorts of things.  Here is what is probably the most important line from the SDS:

"Inhalation: Repeated exposure may cause respiratory tract irritation."

Translation:  Use in a well-ventilated area, under a ventilation hood if you are doing a lot of it, and the use of a mask or respirator is advisable if you happen to be overly sensitive to the vapors.  

At least that's my take on it.  

P.S.  If airbrushing made it toxic, wouldn't that be on the label, probably in large print?

In addition, Tandy's website offers this advice under "Directions":

• Apply with an artist brush, wool dauber, air brush or aerosol sprayer. Thin with water.

Just have a common sense approach to all the chemicals we all use  :)

HS

Aren't almost all chemicals "toxic" if atomized and inhaled? 

I've sprayed some pretty nasty stuff through a spray gun redoing furniture and I'm fi fi fi fine. 

But seriously, have proper ventilation and wear the right level canister respirator and you should be OK.

2 hours ago, ArkieNewbie said:

I've sprayed some pretty nasty stuff through a spray gun redoing furniture and I'm fi fi fi fine. 

:lol: I have done the same but either outside where the breeze would carry the overspray away from me or a canister mask when inside. I have asthma so I'm not taking any chances.