Sign in to follow this  
MLGilbert

Elk Hide Woolies?

Hi all, a good friend of mine asked me to make him a pair of woolies with an elk hide he had skinned and tanned. I’m worried about longevity because I know elk hair is hollow and brittle. For those of you who have worked with hair-on elk hide or made woolies, would you suggest I try it or tell him it’s not a good idea?

Thanks,

Morgan

Having dealt with hair-on elk, I would discourage it. They will shed terribly and end up with bald spots.

Just now, MLGilbert said:

Hi all, a good friend of mine asked me to make him a pair of woolies with an elk hide he had skinned and tanned. I’m worried about longevity because I know elk hair is hollow and brittle. For those of you who have worked with hair-on elk hide or made woolies, would you suggest I try it or tell him it’s not a good idea?

Thanks,

Morgan

you need to be truthful with him and if he still wants them then make them if you want. You are right they wont hold up that's why your don't see hair on elk woolies I imagine its been tried more than once in the few thousand years of leather crafting., another thing is elk hide isn't that strong compared to other deer species( from the book deerskins into buckskins) so you may need a backing like woolies have.  woolies are meant to keep your butt warm in the winter i dont know how well an elk hide will do that.

Thank you both, I kind of figured it wouldn’t work but thought I’d ask. I’ll let him know!

Ditto to all the cautions for elkhide.  A good btw would be to note that bear hide woolies will hold up as I have actually put in quite a few hours of saddle time with a pair of them made on a self developed pattern for zippered woolies patched together with regular chap leather or easier to visualize the other way around, that is start with a pattern for zipper chaps and piece in the bear hide pieces on the outside with the chap leather next to horse. Seams are all vertical and this allows more flexibility in making hair alignment on bear hide to be vertical to shed water. One bear hide originally tanned for rug use will cut one pair of "hybrid" zipper shotguns. (note) the bear skin is really tough and can be shorn and shaved where it is to be joined with cow hide to make the joins smoother and smaller.