bladegrinder

First pancake holster

This is my first pancake holster for a handgun. it's not perfect, I need to bring the stitching closer to the gun but it still has good retention and it's for me, I wore it today and it felt good. it's for a Ruger SR40. Thanks for looking!

DOroUwa.jpg

GEMM7FM.jpg

That looks very nice for a first attempt. Trace your gun, add 1/2 the slide width + the thickness of the leather for a pretty good stitch line. I also draw a line from the top of thefrontsight to the top of thereafter sight and space the stitch line from that to allow for front sight clearance. Good work!

Good Looking First Holster!  well done.

Thanks Hags, I'll get there, I've got a few personal guns to make holsters for and every time I look at this holster I see where I could have improved it so the next one should be better.

one question I do have is, if I do tooling on the front and then vacuum form it, will the vacuum bag crush or flatten out any carving or stamping?

Looks pretty durn good to me .

Very nice.  Is the bottom of the holster closed up?  Could you take a pick of the back side?

Thanks PastorBob, here's a picture of the bottom, it's partially closed from the vacuum pulling the bag down around it.

I've been wearing it the last two days so it's showing some wear.

bARFFCl.jpg

Unfortunately yes, vacuforming may smash some of the detail. But I really only basket weave on a reinforcing piece on the front, and don't really notice it. I believe if you carved and tooled, it may be minimal.  I like the bottom of the holster as you did it. It allows it to drain should the need arise, and protects the end of the pistol.

There's a lot to like about that one. I'd only suggest adding a stitch line right under the pic rail area and up under the trigger guard, to meet the stitches around the belt loop.  I think it'd decrease the chance of it loosening up over time.

12 hours ago, bladegrinder said:

Thanks PastorBob, here's a picture of the bottom, it's partially closed from the vacuum pulling the bag down around it.

I've been wearing it the last two days so it's showing some wear.

bARFFCl.jpg

Thanks for the pic.  I am thinking about investing in a vacuum setup.  I haven't yet.  That looks great!!

On 2/5/2023 at 7:55 PM, Littlef said:

Good Looking First Holster!  well done.

Thanks LittleF!

On 2/5/2023 at 8:45 PM, Gezzer said:

Looks pretty durn good to me .

Thanks Gezzer!

21 hours ago, Hags said:

Unfortunately yes, vacuforming may smash some of the detail. But I really only basket weave on a reinforcing piece on the front, and don't really notice it. I believe if you carved and tooled, it may be minimal.  I like the bottom of the holster as you did it. It allows it to drain should the need arise, and protects the end of the pistol.

Thanks Hags, I guess I need to just try a practice piece and see if it's ok, if so great! if not...well, just find a work around.