Sign in to follow this  
Gosut

Dying and Finishing Inside Wallets and Checkbook Covers?

When I made my first project, a checkbook cover, I slicked the flesh side visible above the pockets just enough to be presentable, but left the rest of the flesh sides alone. I think that caused resistance when sliding in the checks and register, and decided to at least slick all the flesh side. Now I have the leather ordered for a checkbook cover for a relative, and will dye it (Fiebing's Pro Dye Dark Brown) and finish it with Fiebing's Resolene. This, however brings me back to the flesh side. Intend to apply dye with a dense sponge "brush," so I could just apply it where the flesh side is visible. But I'm wondering about bleed-through if it's unsealed on the flesh side. Have thought about dyeing both sides of each piece, but that seems to suggests finishing prior to assembly. I'm assuming glue on any finish isn't a good idea, so I'd have to keep that clear and scrape/roughen the glue areas.

Note: I plan to buff it prior to applying Resolene (tm) to minimize rub-off as much as possible.

My question is what is the usual practice? Is the flesh side of checkbook covers and wallets finished before assembly, or is the practice to dye and finish just the visible areas after assembly but prior to stitching?

Thanks in advance.

I do nothing to the inside of a checkbook. I don't slick it, dye it or finish/seal it. It doesn't show, so I don't lose any sleep over it.

Line it with light weight leather.

I just went back to analog banking. I'm gonna make a check book with italian bridle and line it with a bandanna 

I would just line it with 1oz. leather of your choice.

I think it looks much nicer than painting or even burnishing. 

Many approaches. As mentioned you an line it with very light leather or fabric. But. If you didn't want to line it there are other methods. I used to use tan coat and apply it then burnish it with my slicker best I could. But now, my go to method for glossy smooth unlined interiors is to use toconole and a glass burnisher. Just spread a light coat of toconole on the entirety of the back side and burnish. Comes out great. Obviously, you want to dye it first haha.