Icho

Adler thread take-up arm question.

This may not affect thread as it passes over the hook, and maybe it’s just the angle of the photo, but is the case opener adjustment fully to the end of its travel?   

F62CA941-5EAF-4B9C-ACF1-F8F0C3E96019.jpeg

Edited by DonInReno

44 minutes ago, DonInReno said:

This may not affect thread as it passes over the hook, and maybe it’s just the angle of the photo, but is the case opener adjustment fully to the end of its travel?   

F62CA941-5EAF-4B9C-ACF1-F8F0C3E96019.jpeg

I can't tell for sure by the pic either but it has been moved around since. Unfortunately it has nothing to do with when the thread passes the hook. 

I'm kind of glad you guys committed. It may have gave me the motivation to get back at it today. Lol

On 2/6/2023 at 4:30 AM, Icho said:

I tried the settings from one extreme to the other and everything in between so I thought it was just the way it is.

I strongly suggest getting down close with a flashlight and adjust the case opener so it opens the gap enough for thread to pass through without binding - having the bobbin case tab centered in the notch isn’t required (doesn’t hurt), but thread has to pass through that gap easily.   The adjustment range is quite small and 138 thread is only .4mm so this adjustment can’t be guessed at.  If this is out of adjustment it 100% will cause problems - maybe not your main problem, but it’s not an optional adjustment.

As the hook is pulling thread around the bobbin I’d want to pull on that thread with an O-ring pick so you can feel the amount of tension at any given portion of its travel - compare that to the tension above the needle plate.    Same for other places in the thread path - more than one machine has been sold because a single thread guide had a defect that restricted thread movement.   

You mentioned it’s a new hook - if anything screams out a warning it’s a new part installed right before the machine stopped working - cheap replacement hooks are normally poorly dimensioned even if the surface finish looks good.   If possible compare its dimensions to a known good hook - some replacement hooks are so far off they never work correctly because the distance from tip of hook to the area that transports thread around is too long or wrong shape.

Id look closely for other parts that might have been replaced.

I don’t remember any talk about snags in the thread path that would prevent a little upper thread from being pulled through the tensioners.   Sometimes these are small grooves in the feed dog, improper case opener, thread guides that aren’t quite right, groove in take up lever, etc.  A groove or sharp corner that functioned perfectly with a small thread, even one size smaller, can bind a thicker thread.

I also agree with the others that the odds of this being a take up lever timing issue are very small, (a tiny fraction of 1%) while the odds of it being an issue with thread path or bottom end are over 99%.

Edited by DonInReno

1 hour ago, DonInReno said:

I strongly suggest getting down close with a flashlight and adjust the case opener so it opens the gap enough for thread to pass through without binding - having the bobbin case tab centered in the notch isn’t required (doesn’t hurt), but thread has to pass through that gap easily.   The adjustment range is quite small and 138 thread is only .4mm so this adjustment can’t be guessed at.  If this is out of adjustment it 100% will cause problems - maybe not your main problem, but it’s not an optional adjustment.

That is the easy part. I'm not at home right now so I can't verify that it is correct but I have definitely had it set correctly and it doesn't make any difference either way with the problem I'm having. 

As the hook is pulling thread around the bobbin I’d want to pull on that thread with an O-ring pick so you can feel the amount of tension at any given portion of its travel - compare that to the tension above the needle plate.    Same for other places in the thread path - more than one machine has been sold because a single thread guide had a defect that restricted thread movement.  

It is tight all the way up to the point that I can see the lever and internals flexing until it gets around the bobbin. 

You mentioned it’s a new hook - if anything screams out a warning it’s a new part installed right before the machine stopped working - cheap replacement hooks are normally poorly dimensioned even if the surface finish looks good.   If possible compare its dimensions to a known good hook - some replacement hooks are so far off they never work correctly because the distance from tip of hook to the area that transports thread around is too long or wrong shape.

Id look closely for other parts that might have been replaced.

I didn't replace the hook. Just the hook gears. The hook looks likely to be original. 

The whole thread path looks to be in excellent condition with no wear spots. 

I'm not sure if you saw the attached video but it shows how it is tight until it passes the bobbin case to the point that you can hear a snap when it does pass. Loosen my tension makes it less severe of a snap but then the stitch looks loose. The machine sewing pretty good but I want to get it better because it is causing unnecessary stress on the lever and attached components in the head. 

@Icho & @Moti did you get this problem resolved?  I'm having similar problems and it seems to be not-too-uncommon with 341 clones.  I got some good advice from @Wizcrafts & @kgg utilizing @Uwe's videos and the problem has improved significantly.  I have one more adjustment to make this evening and I'm pretty convinced that this issue is going to go away once I do that.

On 3/24/2023 at 12:20 PM, Icho said:

It is tight all the way up to the point that I can see the lever and internals flexing until it gets around the bobbin.

@Icho, This is often caused by retarded hook timing. Try advancing the hook a little and see if it reduces the tension going around the hook. Also, increase the slack setting in the check spring to feed a little more top thread into the mix.

My machine is a real mess, but I also watched some of wue videos and did what is do and it worked out, I don't really know how it happened