Sign in to follow this  
Mrstsb

Disappointed response from Singer

After picking up a Singer 211g256, I thought I'd get in touch with Singer and ask if they had any information or service manuals available to download regarding the said machine, seeing that it's over 40years old. Well I've just received a reply, saying, basically manuals aren't for end users and are strictly for Singer service technicians and dealers only and suggested finding a local one to take my machine to. Thank goodness for forums like this

Well, the Singer Manufacturing Co. we know for industrial sewing machines is no longer producing industrial sewing machines and no longer exists. They stopped loooooong time ago, several decades ago I´d say. Basically someone has bought the brand name Singer and they are now marketing sewing machines but they no longer manufacture industrial sewing machines in their own plants and The domestics machines are for sure made somewhere in Asia.

Singer nowadays is just a brand name among others. The head company is SVP they own the name Singer, Husqvarna / Viking and Pfaff.

When it comes to industrial sewing machines don´t expect anything from them, they are just marketing "domestic or consumer" sewing machines but no serious industrial sewing machines (or do they?).

All to my best knowledge.

34 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

Well, the Singer Manufacturing Co. we know for industrial sewing machines is no longer producing industrial sewing machines and no longer exists. They stopped loooooong time ago, several decades ago I´d say. Basically someone has bought the brand name Singer and they are now marketing sewing machines but they no longer manufacture industrial sewing machines in their own plants and The domestics machines are for sure made somewhere in Asia.

Singer nowadays is just a brand name among others. The head company is SVP they own the name Singer, Husqvarna / Viking and Pfaff.

When it comes to industrial sewing machines don´t expect anything from them, they are just marketing "domestic or consumer" sewing machines but no serious industrial sewing machines (or do they?).

All to my best knowledge.

Ah that makes sense now. So if you were to buy a new machine, who are the main players now in the industrial walking foot sewing machine market. I'd guess it would be durkopp adler. I'd bet they wouldn't last 40 years, especially if they are full of electronics

3 hours ago, Mrstsb said:

who are the main players now in the industrial walking foot sewing machine market.

I think at present time Juki is the main brand that most of the clones copy. They have been around since 1945. However not all their models are made in Japan some models are made in China.

kgg