MatthewEmerick

Laser Cutting Time Saving

Does anyone know about how much time a laser cutter saves?  For example, if cutting an intricate pattern takes 5 hours by hand, about how long would it save to laser cut?  I'm really looking for a proportion, like 1/3 of the time.  Even a rough estimate would help.

My project is a set of leather armor.  I have a pattern but it's fairly intricate and would take a while to cut it all out.  I have a place that can cut it by laser for me, but it'll cost a couple of hundred dollars.  I just want to know if it would be worth it.

Would it be cutting out the actual pieces or creating a pattern in said pieces?  Do you have all the images digitized already if it's to cut out individual pieces? Are you doing this as a one-off or are you planning on making more of the same?

It would cut out the pieces as well as mark a border for me to do more work on.  I have all of the files (36 total) for the armor.  The breastplate file is the largest, as it's all there.  The others are collections of smaller files.  This is just a one-off project.

3 hours ago, MatthewEmerick said:

It would cut out the pieces as well as mark a border for me to do more work on.  I have all of the files (36 total) for the armor.  The breastplate file is the largest, as it's all there.  The others are collections of smaller files.  This is just a one-off project.

If it is a commissioned piece, is the client willing to pay an additional $200 bucks.  if you charge $20 per hour, will it take you less than 10 hours to cut out by hand?  Since it is a one-off, I would probably do it by hand.

It would also depend on the thickness of the leather and power of the laser. For $200 you're not going to get much over a 5.5 watt laser. In my experience it takes my 5.5W laser about 12 passes to cut 5/6oz leather. Keep in mind I do not have an air assist. If you were to have an air assist it may cut off some passes.