PastorBob

Finally...bit the bullet, pulled the trigger, kicked can down the road

So many times I have looked online for used sewing machines, then came here and did a search looking for comments from @kgg or @Wizcrafts to determine if it was a good machine.  I have had numerous messages with both of them helping me decide on a machine.  I tried the Chinese cobbler, and even my late wife, who could run the heck out of a serger and a local sewing machine repairman couldn't get it to work properly, even after it was buffed to shine after watching all the videos on the subject.

Friday I will be picking up a Cobra Class 4 machine from Springfield Leather Co.  Wish me luck.  Thank you guys for all the help and I am sure I will be pestering you with questions in the near future.

PS - I got the Premium package with stand.

You won't regret it. I bought mine, a CB3200, from Cowboy Bob back in late '13...it paid for itself in no time, has never given me a moment's worth of trouble AND the learning curve was "flat" in large part thanks to this very forum. My singular regret was not going with its bigger brother (4500)...but...sewing machines can be addictions too...or so I've heard.  

Edited by Double Daddy

I got sick n tired of sewing belts with a Boss . . . started saving up for a 3200 . . . and long story short . . . a "blessing" came my way.

I was easily able to buy the 4500 instead . . . and am seriously glad I could.

Now if I could just get over this covid and get some work done.

May God bless,

Dwight

You should be a happy camper Bob.  I love my 5100 and with the guys on here I can even fix and adjust it now.  

1 hour ago, Thescandall said:

You should be a happy camper Bob.  I love my 5100 and with the guys on here I can even fix and adjust it now.  

That's why I was a little more confident.  I have never done any sewing at all.  Surely I can figure it out.  I can help my dad turn a bull into a steer and run a Stihl 261 for firewood.  It's been a while, but engine swaps are not out of the question either.

Congratulations!  I made the same trek several years ago and have really enjoyed the Class 4.  I recommend watching Uwe Grosse's videos on adjusting the hook timing and the walking foot mechanism.  Also, if you can find a digital copy of the Juki TSC-441 engineer's manual it is a good complement to the instructions that come with the machine.  Have fun!

Don't forget to get yourself the narrow plate and feed dog from RockyAussie, it makes the big machine much more versatile. It's arguably the one "must-have" for the big machine.

And then have fun.:specool:

17 hours ago, TomE said:

Congratulations!  I made the same trek several years ago and have really enjoyed the Class 4.  I recommend watching Uwe Grosse's videos on adjusting the hook timing and the walking foot mechanism.  Also, if you can find a digital copy of the Juki TSC-441 engineer's manual it is a good complement to the instructions that come with the machine.  Have fun!

Thanks for the insight.  I have subscribed to Uwe' channel and have downloaded the manuals from an old thread.

Thanks @Constabulary for making them available.

A purchase you won't regret. I have been more than happy with mine. 

8 hours ago, JWheeler331 said:

A purchase you won't regret. I have been more than happy with mine. 

X2...I've had my CB4500 I got from Bob in Toledo for 6 months or so and I'm super happy with it. like you PastorBob I never used a sewing machine in my life so initially there was a somewhat nervous learning curve as to how do I get his thing to do what I want it too. mine came from Bob set up the way I intended to use it, #25 needle-277 thread so it was just a matter of gluing up some samples and start practicing...a lot of samples and a lot of practicing ha ha.

Today I feel pretty confident getting on it and stitching up holsters and sheaths. I think my blunders are in the past. I'm a knifemaker by trade so I don't use it everyday but last week I stitched up six sheaths one after the other, set them out, and looking at them I thought about if I had to hand stitch those, my eyes and hands would hurt and I'd probably still be on the first one. I hand stitched for over 30 years and it was past due I got a machine.

I would say glue up a bunch of scrap different thicknesses and practice a lot getting to know your new machine, you'll never look back.

Congratulations and good luck!

Look at Al Bane on YouTube he has a really complete library on Cobra machines from maintenance to troubleshooting. Also on Facebook has Cobra tips and tricks but the videos are pretty good coverage on things.

7 hours ago, Burkhardt said:

Look at Al Bane on YouTube he has a really complete library on Cobra machines from maintenance to troubleshooting. Also on Facebook has Cobra tips and tricks but the videos are pretty good coverage on things.

Subscribed!  Thanks for that information.  I am sure I will be watching lots of videos.

10 hours ago, bladegrinder said:

X2...I've had my CB4500 I got from Bob in Toledo for 6 months or so and I'm super happy with it. like you PastorBob I never used a sewing machine in my life so initially there was a somewhat nervous learning curve as to how do I get his thing to do what I want it too. mine came from Bob set up the way I intended to use it, #25 needle-277 thread so it was just a matter of gluing up some samples and start practicing...a lot of samples and a lot of practicing ha ha.

Today I feel pretty confident getting on it and stitching up holsters and sheaths. I think my blunders are in the past. I'm a knifemaker by trade so I don't use it everyday but last week I stitched up six sheaths one after the other, set them out, and looking at them I thought about if I had to hand stitch those, my eyes and hands would hurt and I'd probably still be on the first one. I hand stitched for over 30 years and it was past due I got a machine.

I would say glue up a bunch of scrap different thicknesses and practice a lot getting to know your new machine, you'll never look back.

Congratulations and good luck!

I will definitely be practicing.  I have about 6 totes and 2 boxes full of "made to order" sewing practice pieces (or scrap). LOL

You made a great choice, keep it oiled and if you have questions we are all here to help or just chew the fat

6 hours ago, Doc Reaper said:

You made a great choice, keep it oiled and if you have questions we are all here to help or just chew the fat

Thanks!  I have my first piece ready to sew for a client.  Still trying to decide on sewing with the machine or by hand.  Not real confident I won't screw it up and have to start from scratch.  May do this one by hand, then keep practicing.  It is just a small pocket knife sheath.  I have a great sword scabbard in the works too.  I would really like to use the machine on that one.  I have a question about proper needle plate and feed dog, but I will ask in separate thread.