chefben4

Singer 111w155 w/servo issues

Hello all! Long time lurker of the site, finally “officially” joined a couple weeks ago. Around the same time I purchased a Singer 111w155. It’s in good shape, although I have since oiled it and cleaned it up. I quickly realized this machine is WAY to fast for a beginner. 

so after reading the forums here I reached out to Bob at Toledo Industrial seeing and purchased a servo motor and box style speed reducer. He has been great to deal with and if it wasn’t the weekend I would’ve called him for sure!

i was under the impression once I got the speed reducer I would be able to make this thing crawl. Well, it’s definitely not. I can’t get it to run on the “350” speed. Won’t turn the pulleys. On the next speed up, it’s moving pretty good. I’m getting real frustrated and I’m definitely regretting just not biting the bullet and buying a new machine. Anyone have any helpful tips? I looked in the archives and haven’t seen much. 

BBC73181-C880-4C9D-99A3-A616DCB1E8D2.jpeg

Edited by chefben4
Added some info

1 hour ago, chefben4 said:

Well, it’s definitely not. I can’t get it to run on the “350” speed. Won’t turn the pulleys

Little motor pulley should be belted to the large speed reducer pulley.  As is, you will see almost no change in speed and torque.

5 minutes ago, Northmount said:

Little motor pulley should be belted to the large speed reducer pulley.  As is, you will see almost no change in speed and torque.

Thank you so much!!! I’ll swap it around in the AM

4 hours ago, chefben4 said:

Anyone have any helpful tips?

When you remove the belts to relocate them to the correct pulleys:

1. Run you motor at the lowest speed for about a minute and then move the speed up in increments of 100 rpm and run it for about a minute every time you change speed. This will help better seat the brushes in the motor.

2. Replace the belt from the speed reducer to the machine to a proper sewing machine belt that will seat in the pulley groves to reduce possible belt slippage and better power transfer.

kgg

7 hours ago, kgg said:

When you remove the belts to relocate them to the correct pulleys:

1. Run you motor at the lowest speed for about a minute and then move the speed up in increments of 100 rpm and run it for about a minute every time you change speed. This will help better seat the brushes in the motor.

2. Replace the belt from the speed reducer to the machine to a proper sewing machine belt that will seat in the pulley groves to reduce possible belt slippage and better power transfer.

kgg

Thanks KGG. When you say proper belt do you mean a hardware store 3L v-belt? 

ironically, I had to get this stupid red one because I have the pulleys wrong and I couldn’t find a standard v belt long enough!!

19 minutes ago, chefben4 said:

When you say proper belt do you mean a hardware store 3L v-belt? 

The 3L may fit but it is going to depend on the profile of the pulley on the Singer. Check the profile designation on the old belt. The object is to get the belt to fit well down in the grove to get the proper transfer so you may have to go to a narrower 3V.

kgg