tozafoot

New book by Harry Rogers “Making Handmade Shoes”

While researching sewing machines recently, I came across some YouTube videos by Harry Rogers… and it turns out he has just (Nov 2022) published a step-by-step guide to making formal shoes with welts and low heels. I bought a copy and thought I’d mention it here, because there are not many in-print illustrated guides to the traditional process (e.g. he uses wood pegs to fix the rands in place). If you don’t mind using contact adhesives (e.g. PVA white glue), and you want to make shoes with raised heels and stiff soles (including shanks), the book has many detailed photos of the process, together with written instructions and tips. Early chapters cover useful information about tool selection and maintenance (sharpening!), and the basics of leather selection. Basically, it brings together a lot of relevant information that otherwise you would have to source from many different places. 

In the US, it seems to be on sale at Amazon at the moment.

Ref: Rogers, Harry (2022) “Making Handmade Shoes: A Step-by-Step Guide”. Bucklehurst Publishing. ISBN 9798361681792

Thanks for the tip.  I ordered a copy and look forward to learning about it.

Thanks for this tozafoot. I hope, God willing, to eventually become a self-employed maker of footwear. This book might contain the information I need to make this happen. Thanks again.

Scott

Hi ScottEnglish, if you are interested in making men’s formal dress shoes, in case you haven’t already come across it, here’s a blog by someone who is self-taught and making some very impressive shoes https://secretcobbler.com Many pictures of various designs in different stages of construction. Also contains useful links to resources in the UK.