spta97

Newbie Help with Tandy Line 20 Snaps

Hi everyone,

First post hoping to get some help with Tandy Line 20 snaps.

I am actually trying to install these on fabric but figured I would go to the experts here.

Summary: I am using the Tandy punch/anvil to install these snaps and I cannot get them to snap together.  

Details:

1. I cannot seem to find snaps for clothing that are heavy duty unless they are made for leather

2. I seem to be ok (ish) installing the post/stud and socket/cap using the rotating method and hammering strait

3. The problem is when the snaps are installed they just will not snap together (even with extreme force) - what's interesting is if I take an unused stud and socket they will fit on the installed snaps with no issues...just the installed snaps will not join together

4. I included some pics of my testing - perhaps not the prettiest work but I am not seeing anything bent or any reason why they would not snap together

Another issue I am having is getting the cap and post shafts centered.  I am finding difficult to hold the cap/post and the punch so everything is lined up when I am tapping with the mallet.

Any thoughts?  Am I doing something wrong?

I'm close to giving up and get one of those vice grip tools from Amazon instead but they have mixed reviews.

Thanks!

IMG-5347.JPG

Snaps 1.jpg

Edited by spta97

I can't be sure from the photos but I think your post is too long.  When you get it rolled down on each half, they interfere with  each other.  They work better (for me)if I have to push the snap down onto the post while setting.  Try a shorter post.  JM2C, Jim

As a guess, I would say that the socket is 'cupping', causing it to be smaller.

1 hour ago, spta97 said:

what's interesting is if I take an unused stud and socket they will fit on the installed snaps with no issues...just the installed snaps will not join together

This I would say is a result of them being hammer in place as the pressure isn't even.

1 hour ago, spta97 said:

I am finding difficult to hold the cap/post and the punch so everything is lined up when I am tapping with the mallet.

1 hour ago, spta97 said:

I'm close to giving up and get one of those vice grip tools from Amazon instead but they have mixed reviews.

I wouldn't bother with the vice grip style they are hard on the hands, they are OK for a couple of installations at a time. I would recommend getting a hand press similar to the $65 CAD ($48 USD) (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003298489931.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.7.7ecb668b0rxmrC&algo_pvid=a103c9f6-b6d3-4d87-811f-6cc6b107cbdf&aem_p4p_detail=202302140711464414124834585850004428326&algo_exp_id=a103c9f6-b6d3-4d87-811f-6cc6b107cbdf-3&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"12000025083060504"}&pdp_npi=3%40dis!CAD!60.5!30.24!!!!!%4021021a7216763875063051915d0747!12000025083060504!sea!CA!3463193163&curPageLogUid=F9OhT1WdXLvW&ad_pvid=202302140711464414124834585850004428326_4&ad_pvid=202302140711464414124834585850004428326_4 ) and a set of dies. I have one similar and it works pretty good.

kgg

As @jrdunn said if you look the posts are to long and it's bending the posts and disforming the caps. Grind/shorten them so when by hand when you push the cap down there's maybe 1/16th to a 1/8th sticking up and don't over set them. When you can't spin the pieces is the hardest you want set them, don't go by how much it rolls the lip over.

Thanks everyone for the replies!  Unfortunately I did not get notifications (despite turning the option on) so just seeing these now.

In the interim, I found the vid below which described my exact issue (although for plastic snaps).  Basically what everyone is saying here - the posts are too long/not compressed enough.

My solution (in desperation) was to break out the 5 lbs. masonry hammer and give them a few good whacks with the punch and that did the trick!  I was really surprised because by eye they did not look like they were too high/interfering with each other.

I moved from my test sock to prod on my dog's coat where the Velcro failed (even after it was replaced) - they work great!

Question: After reading the above, I'm curious what would qualify as "over set" (like I may have done)?  If they function correctly and the cap/post stud/socket are not deformed is that good to go?

@kgg That's good advice about the pliers and hand press.  I normally would jump to get a new tool but I don't see myself setting enough buttons to make it worth it.  Outside of this (and maybe one other dog coat) the main purpose is to install snaps on the seat backs of my SUV (Nissan Armada) as the part that flips down to cover the floor gap (which makes the floor flat when you fold down all the seats) doesn't stay up with the OEM Velcro anymore.  Several others have done this with success.  So figure 8 more snaps and I'm retiring :)

Edited to add - I really appreciate you all helping out this newbie!  Thanks again!

1 - Copy.JPG

Edited by spta97

7 hours ago, spta97 said:

Question: After reading the above, I'm curious what would qualify as "over set" (like I may have done)?  If they function correctly and the cap/post stud/socket are not deformed is that good to go?

The post can bend which will make them crooked but if you don't beat on them to much to deform the pieces it boils down to looks. If you have a little sander or Dremel take a little length out of the post.

My remedy is to sand or grind the longer post to the desired size. Use a belt sander or a dremel tool or a hand grinder. I made a jig by using small metal squares found in the hurricane straps at Home Depot or Lowe’s 

Get a few of these to stack together and start by placing the stem in the holes, use a small piece wood or Luanne to hold snap stems in place. Sand away only 25 percent to start. I use 3 of the squares to use on thin leather for hair bows, I will send a picture of them in the morning. Your problem is the rolled stems have a lot of material and both sides need less or they won’t go together, use anything that will grind or sand that metal away. Cloth is way thinner than leather and you may need a backing material like T-shirt cardboard or construction paper. Hobby lobby has this and scrap leather

17 hours ago, Doc Reaper said:

My remedy is to sand or grind the longer post to the desired size. Use a belt sander or a dremel tool or a hand grinder. I made a jig by using small metal squares found in the hurricane straps at Home Depot or Lowe’s 

Get a few of these to stack together and start by placing the stem in the holes, use a small piece wood or Luanne to hold snap stems in place. Sand away only 25 percent to start. I use 3 of the squares to use on thin leather for hair bows, I will send a picture of them in the morning. Your problem is the rolled stems have a lot of material and both sides need less or they won’t go together, use anything that will grind or sand that metal away. Cloth is way thinner than leather and you may need a backing material like T-shirt cardboard or construction paper. Hobby lobby has this and scrap leather

Great idea - hurricane straps like the image I attached?  I believe I have 2 left in my shed - I can put a shim between them to get the right height I think....

18 hours ago, Burkhardt said:

The post can bend which will make them crooked but if you don't beat on them to much to deform the pieces it boils down to looks. If you have a little sander or Dremel take a little length out of the post.

I do have a Dremel - do you recommend a sanding disc or sanding stone?  I also have a belt sander which I could use but would need to be careful with my fingers :)

Hurricane Straps.JPG

4 hours ago, spta97 said:

I do have a Dremel - do you recommend a sanding disc or sanding stone?  I also have a belt sander which I could use but would need to be careful with my fingers :)

I use the little cut off wheels but as long as you shorten to the right length and keep all fingers attached is the most important. You'll notice right away with the right length but don't expect to roll over a lot of length, hammer till it won't spin.

9 hours ago, Burkhardt said:

I use the little cut off wheels but as long as you shorten to the right length and keep all fingers attached is the most important. You'll notice right away with the right length but don't expect to roll over a lot of length, hammer till it won't spin.

Thanks for the info!  Of all the attachments on the Dremel those little cutoff wheels require googles the most.

I can't count how many times they end up breaking and flying into pieces lol.

For the truck seat backs, they are pretty thick but I'll punch holes and see how much sticks out with a target of 1/16" - 1/8" and address accordingly.

I suppose it doesn't take much post metal to keep the snaps in place.

One other question, I went with Tandy snaps mostly because I was looking for a gun metal color - are these quality snaps?  Is there a better option?

The ones I got on Amazon have the Tandy packaging but the individual metal pieces are not stamped with the Tandy brand which I saw in one of the pics - hoping they are not counterfeits.

Edited by spta97

10 hours ago, spta97 said:

Thanks for the info!  Of all the attachments on the Dremel those little cutoff wheels require googles the most.

I can't count how many times they end up breaking and flying into pieces lol.

For the truck seat backs, they are pretty thick but I'll punch holes and see how much sticks out with a target of 1/16" - 1/8" and address accordingly.

I suppose it doesn't take much post metal to keep the snaps in place.

One other question, I went with Tandy snaps mostly because I was looking for a gun metal color - are these quality snaps?  Is there a better option?

The ones I got on Amazon have the Tandy packaging but the individual metal pieces are not stamped with the Tandy brand which I saw in one of the pics - hoping they are not counterfeits.

I was getting from whoever on Ebay and the last few places I ordered from the posts were narrower at the top so a regular setter wouldn't work without using a punch to open up the post then finish with line 24 setter. I even specifically asked the seller about the posts and showed the difference in a picture and still sent the wrong ones. They work but with a extra step.

On 2/16/2023 at 5:34 PM, spta97 said:

Great idea - hurricane straps like the image I attached?  I believe I have 2 left in my shed - I can put a shim between them to get the right height I think....

Hurricane Straps.JPG

Belt sander with 120 grit works best, and this is what I use, line 20 jig on the left, line 24 on the right

0D01BA6D-7AE8-4064-98D0-799334DA1E3D.jpeg

On 2/17/2023 at 6:17 PM, Burkhardt said:

I was getting from whoever on Ebay and the last few places I ordered from the posts were narrower at the top so a regular setter wouldn't work without using a punch to open up the post then finish with line 24 setter. I even specifically asked the seller about the posts and showed the difference in a picture and still sent the wrong ones. They work but with a extra step.

Thanks - these work so I guess I'll stick with them.

17 hours ago, Doc Reaper said:

Belt sander with 120 grit works best, and this is what I use, line 20 jig on the left, line 24 on the right

Great setup!  So you just pop them in, turn the screws to hold them then hit them with the belt sander?

Brilliant! Always learn something on this site, Thanks!

Thanks again to everyone for the ideas.  Because my volume did not dictate a template, I just held the shanks with my Leatherman pliers and used a Dremel with a sanding drum (60 grit I think) to grind them down.  It was much easier than I thought it would be and only took a few seconds.

Installing the snaps was MUCH easier after that!  Just lite taps with the rubber mallet and punch was all that was required to get them snug and no longer able to rotate.

12 hours ago, spta97 said:

Thanks again to everyone for the ideas.  Because my volume did not dictate a template, I just held the shanks with my Leatherman pliers and used a Dremel with a sanding drum (60 grit I think) to grind them down.  It was much easier than I thought it would be and only took a few seconds.

Installing the snaps was MUCH easier after that!  Just lite taps with the rubber mallet and punch was all that was required to get them snug and no longer able to rotate.

And most important, the snaps snap.

On 2/18/2023 at 12:11 AM, Doc Reaper said:

I like the heck out of the jig for shortening the posts.

Cutting off the excess is the best way

but , If you do not have a way to cut the post their is another way

use a Philips head screwdriver

2F2C1542-302A-4493-86D0-18543E1BFFE0.jpeg

B42830EC-ABB9-4A0F-BA24-ACE675D740EE.jpeg

9FCED56B-5DCF-4A35-9A61-9ACED74E4D8E.jpeg

On 2/20/2023 at 10:14 PM, Burkhardt said:

And most important, the snaps snap.

I like the heck out of the jig for shortening the posts.

Are you getting jiggy with it? 

On 2/14/2023 at 9:16 AM, kgg said:

This I would say is a result of them being hammer in place as the pressure isn't even.

I wouldn't bother with the vice grip style they are hard on the hands, they are OK for a couple of installations at a time. I would recommend getting a hand press similar to the $65 CAD ($48 USD) (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003298489931.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.7.7ecb668b0rxmrC&algo_pvid=a103c9f6-b6d3-4d87-811f-6cc6b107cbdf&aem_p4p_detail=202302140711464414124834585850004428326&algo_exp_id=a103c9f6-b6d3-4d87-811f-6cc6b107cbdf-3&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"12000025083060504"}&pdp_npi=3%40dis!CAD!60.5!30.24!!!!!%4021021a7216763875063051915d0747!12000025083060504!sea!CA!3463193163&curPageLogUid=F9OhT1WdXLvW&ad_pvid=202302140711464414124834585850004428326_4&ad_pvid=202302140711464414124834585850004428326_4 ) and a set of dies. I have one similar and it works pretty good.

kgg

Just an FYI, I ordered this item.  It is not a hand press but dies for a hand press.  To be fair, it didn't cost me $48 US either.  I think it will by the time I get the press too.  Let that be a lesson to me.  If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Jim