TomE

Finishing Bridle Leather Edges

After several years, I think I am settling on a method to finish the edges of tack made with bridle leather.  My first project turned a gray horse brown when she was hosed off wearing a halter I made.  Since then I've learned a few things about finishing leather from members of this forum and others, and I thought I would share them with the hope that I will learn some more.  Thanks for looking.  I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Edited by TomE

Those are some nice looking edges! You're right, English-style bridle leather can be a right swine to dye and burnish, what with the tallow and the tight fibres.

I'm curious what's in that edge solution. Over here the saddle industry has been using diluted water-based glue as a burnishing compound for well over a century. Many will work but traditionally gum arabic or hide/pearl glue were used and nowadays it's usually normal white PVA. Often a powder dye is added so it stains and burnishes in one step, and a drop of dish soap for penetration. Finishing is done with either beeswax or tallow.

I like those edge irons. I've never had much success with mine and tend to just use a power burnisher for wax.

To level out multiple layers before burnishing you can scrape with the edge of a piece of broken glass (once very common in the shoe and carpentry trades too). 

Good stuff about the leather trades across the pond! I’m a big fan of the old books on harness and saddlery in the UK, and the equestrian related books published by J.A. Allen. The Martins Mix looks/smells like floor wax but it works well. The edge will accept dye after burnishing with the mix, and the hot wax soaks in nicely. It seems to eliminate most of the surface imperfections I get burnishing with water and saddle soap - and no sanding needed. The edge is firm and smooth without beeswax but I think the wax is a nice touch for tack. 

Good Video @TomE and thanks for sharing. You may think about using a temperature controlled soldering iron as I have used for many years now. Here is a post I did showing how I made one up using a light dimmer switch 

Although I have used edge coat in that posting it does work well with wax coatings as well.

Thanks, @RockyAussie.  That post is fascinating.  I'll check out modifying a soldering iron for hot wax.  I'd only seen the small/expensive versions for leveling edge coat on watch straps, etc.  Will be another fun experiment.  I'll be sewing that halter today using your narrow plate/dog.  Really appreciate you passing along your expertise.