Leather2

Belt Thread

Dress belt, gun belt, every day wear belt? All considerations in size of thread ect. I've been using Maine thread for quite a while and have been very happy with them. I don't do alot of hand stitching any more, but they now have a braided thread that I  believe would hold up better for the length of thread you are going to need. All of the twisted thread I used started to unravel on longer lengths. Good luck.

I'd recommend a stitching groove.  I hand sewed a work belt with Rhino thread(a braided thread from SLC).  After about a year and a half, I'm getting a few spots where the thread is fraying.  I am pretty hard on my work clothes, though.  I think a stitching groove would've eliminated this problem.  I don't usually use one.  JM2C,  Jim

37 minutes ago, Leather2 said:

Everyday wear belt. I’m planing to stitch it in sections. What thickness of thread would you recommend?

I use machine thread, even when hand sewing.  ANd I like the LOOK of size 277, though 207 or even 138 would well work.  Just depends on the look you want.

1 minute ago, jrdunn said:

I'd recommend a stitching groove.  I hand sewed a work belt with Rhino thread(a braided thread from SLC).  After about a year and a half, I'm getting a few spots where the thread is fraying.  I am pretty hard on my work clothes, though.  I think a stitching groove would've eliminated this problem.  I don't usually use one.  JM2C,  Jim

I don't like a groove.. just a crease.  Sets the thread down a bit without marring the leather surface.

Ditto the 277. It's what I use in my cobra. 

I've been using ritza tiger thread. I really like it. I did my belly with 4mm spacing and 0.8mm thread. If it was available, I would have preferred longer spacing and 1.0 mm thread.

23553.jpeg

2 hours ago, Ddat said:

I've been using ritza tiger thread. I really like it. I did my belly with 4mm spacing and 0.8mm thread. If it was available, I would have preferred longer spacing and 1.0 mm thread.

23553.jpeg

That’s a beautiful belt!!!

thanks for sharing

On 2/22/2023 at 12:30 PM, Hags said:

Ditto the 277. It's what I use in my cobra

Ditto ditto , its what I use in my clone  :) I  love the blue too .I have a few half spools of 207 in blue. 

HS

Honestly... crease, not groove ;)

DSC01456.jpg0600.jpg20191017.jpg

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

Mighty sharp looking belts.   i hope mine will look that good.

On 2/23/2023 at 9:48 PM, JLSleather said:

Beautiful looking belts.  I'm currently in the process of trying to decide on which stitching punches / pricking tools to purchase. At least I think that is what the things that you use to put the holes in the leather that you push the thread through are called.

Can you please tell me what size / style punches you use to create those holes.  And what type style and brand of thread you used.  The threading on those belts, esp the top and bottom ones looks exceptionally nice to me

9 hours ago, AussieTanker said:

Beautiful looking belts.  I'm currently in the process of trying to decide on which stitching punches / pricking tools to purchase. At least I think that is what the things that you use to put the holes in the leather that you push the thread through are called.

Can you please tell me what size / style punches you use to create those holes.  And what type style and brand of thread you used.  The threading on those belts, esp the top and bottom ones looks exceptionally nice to me

I am pretty sure those are sewn on a machine.

On 3/3/2023 at 10:41 PM, PastorBob said:

I am pretty sure those are sewn on a machine.

Thanks PB. Any clue as to what size and style the holes / stitching is?

2 hours ago, AussieTanker said:

Thanks PB. Any clue as to what size and style the holes / stitching is?

Others will know for sure, but I would guess 277 thread with a 25 needle.

3 minutes ago, PastorBob said:

Others will know for sure, but I would guess 277 thread with a 25 needle.

:17:  My machine is set up for 277 M10, #24 needle. 

Thanks Folks.  Appreciate the information  :)

This is what I usually use, .8 tiger thread, 4mm hole spacing. All hand done...about 4 hrs of stitching per belt. I think it looks better than machine stitch but is it worth the time?? Not sure.

20230119_151209.jpg

33 minutes ago, Outfitr said:

All hand done...about 4 hrs of stitching per belt. I think it looks better than machine stitch but is it worth the time??

That is a really nice belt anyone would be proud of. If it takes you 4 hours at say $20 (pick a number) an hour to hand-stitch that alone in itself would be an extra $80 you would have to charge where as with a proper machine you could cut that part down to say 1 hour or less ?? with similar results and a lot less stress on your hands. My opinion is hand stitching is really nice but most people wouldn't / couldn't appreciate the effort it takes to hand-stitch the belt and might not want to pay the extra.

kgg

1 hour ago, kgg said:

That is a really nice belt anyone would be proud of. If it takes you 4 hours at say $20 (pick a number) an hour to hand-stitch that alone in itself would be an extra $80 you would have to charge where as with a proper machine you could cut that part down to say 1 hour or less ?? with similar results and a lot less stress on your hands. My opinion is hand stitching is really nice but most people wouldn't / couldn't appreciate the effort it takes to hand-stitch the belt and might not want to pay the extra.

kgg

you mean it costs me 160 bucks just to get a good nights sleep? lol. Lets say 1500 for a machine how many belts to pay it off plus the time sewing. Lets say you charge 20 bucks for your shorter amount of time sewing with a  machine, what do you charge for the machine itself, lectricity? His 20 bucks an hour is all profit. Plus in some folks opinion yes it is worth more, the question is can you sell your belts for what you want if so then there is no issue. 

1 hour ago, kgg said:

kgg

Completely agree!

2 hours ago, Outfitr said:

This is what I usually use, .8 tiger thread, 4mm hole spacing. All hand done...about 4 hrs of stitching per belt. I think it looks better than machine stitch but is it worth the time?? Not sure.

20230119_151209.jpg

If you sold it and got what you wanted for it then yes it was worth your time. If you want to make more faster and charge less then buy a machine.

50 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

you mean it costs me 160 bucks just to get a good nights sleep? lol. Lets say 1500 for a machine how many belts to pay it off plus the time sewing. Lets say you charge 20 bucks for your shorter amount of time sewing with a  machine, what do you charge for the machine itself, lectricity? His 20 bucks an hour is all profit. Plus in some folks opinion yes it is worth more, the question is can you sell your belts for what you want if so then there is no issue. 

There is always going to be market for items completely hand sewn and those willing to pay for the extra time but the market is much smaller then similar items sewn with machines.

You are getting 8 hours of sleep? Hell I only get 5, I feel cheated.

You'd be lucky to get a good machine for $1500. Since a hobbyist should be able to get at least 10 years out of a machine so the machine would cost $150 per year. If you were just doing belts that would be 7.5 belts or 7.5 hours of machine time plus cost of electricity to run a 1hp servo motor for 7.5 hours which would be $1.40 ((1hp=746watts) /1000 x .25 cents per kilowatt hour of electricity x 7.5 hrs = $1.398).

kgg

I use the KISS method, life is short and I’m old! I have a cowboy 4500 to sew everything that needs sewing. Saving up was hard, but to me people see a leather item and will always think it was done on a machine. In rare cases do I do it the slow and agonizing way