mikesherman

Finally...decent stitches

Hi all...
My next holster in work...not done yet, but I couldn't wait to show off my stitchwork. I usually end up with so-so stitches at best, and stitching has been the bane of my existence for many years now, but I'm finally starting to catch on...and yes, the antiquing went weird somehow, but it's a different effect so I'm keeping it...Enjoy!      -Mike

shieldpancake1_sm.thumb.jpg.51a3ef01c1d0e425d7dba24d295d8f2e.jpg

I like the way the antiquing turned out.  A different, but good look, IMO.  Stitching looks great too!  it took me a minute to find the back stitch.

Contrary to what some might believe, there is no "trick" to good stitching.  It is a process and like any process it needs to be studied to be understood.  Then once the fundamentals are understood you can then embark on experimentation, including choice of needle, thread, awl or chisel, etc.  

So there is no reason to struggle for years on end, hoping for good stitching.  

Your project looks great by the way!

3 hours ago, Tugadude said:

Contrary to what some might believe, there is no "trick" to good stitching.  It is a process and like any process it needs to be studied to be understood.  Then once the fundamentals are understood you can then embark on experimentation, including choice of needle, thread, awl or chisel, etc.  

So there is no reason to struggle for years on end, hoping for good stitching.  

Your project looks great by the way!

:17:If you do it the SAME every stitch you will get consistent results. Whether you run the left hand needle through first or the right hand, do it the same each time.

Good looking stitching and holster.  I'm new to leatherwork also.  I've noticed part of my stitches will look good, and then they change and look odd.  I just bought a stitching pony.  I was picking up the leather and then setting it back down with each stitch.  I think I would get mixed up if it was the left or right needles turn.  Hopefully by using the stitching pony, my work will stay consistently oriented, and help my stitching improve. we shall see.

45 minutes ago, Littlef said:

Good looking stitching and holster.  I'm new to leatherwork also.  I've noticed part of my stitches will look good, and then they change and look odd.  I just bought a stitching pony.  I was picking up the leather and then setting it back down with each stitch.  I think I would get mixed up if it was the left or right needles turn.  Hopefully by using the stitching pony, my work will stay consistently oriented, and help my stitching improve. we shall see.

Not to mention you'll have an easier time achieving consistent tension.  I don't know how that is possible stitching while holding the item.

1 minute ago, Tugadude said:

Not to mention you'll have an easier time achieving consistent tension.  I don't know how that is possible stitching while holding the item.

yea, the stitching pony should hopefully solve a few issues.  You just don't have every single tool when you first start.  Still stocking the workbench.

56 minutes ago, Littlef said:

yea, the stitching pony should hopefully solve a few issues.  You just don't have every single tool when you first start.  Still stocking the workbench.

Easy to make and you can use scrap wood.  As far as a clamp, I have had good success with a cheap plastic C-clamp.  It doesn't have to be fancy, it is just a third hand.  If you stay with it, maybe you can make a better one or purchase one that suits your needs.

5 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

Easy to make and you can use scrap wood.  As far as a clamp, I have had good success with a cheap plastic C-clamp.  It doesn't have to be fancy, it is just a third hand.  If you stay with it, maybe you can make a better one or purchase one that suits your needs.

yep,I have one, now.  As I said in my previous post, I just bought a stitching pony.  Another tool in the tool box.

Not bad, the more you do the better you become. Also, sharpen that awl! I thought mine was okay then saw a post about sharpening them. When I took a good look at mine it was really rough. I went through a very good sharpening and stropping and it now glides in and out, very little pushing. Really helps with straight holes and on hard leather. Strop it like your knife. You'll be surprised. 

Edited by Hags
Spelling and content