Danne

Follow me on my journey evaluating edge paints.

I have been using Fenice for a long time, and the durability have been good on some leathers, other not so good. On dense chrome tanned leathers very durable, but I've had peeling edges at folds on wallets where I used vegetable tanned cow leather.

I will evaluate some brands with and without primer other with just edge paint (Where it's less common to use a primer) I will also experiment with different heat, different edge finish to start with. (And of course if the producer have a SOP available, I will test that method as close as I can) And then "stress test" the pieces when fully cured (bending, stretching, scratching, trying to peel of the paint and such)

So what brands will I evaluate?

Uniters: With and without EP-sealer, I have tried Uniters before, but I think the products I have got frozen during shipping, because I did order it in the winter, and from my tests the adhesion is very good, but hard folding results in small micro cracks, and this is a problem that I haven't heard anyone else have.

Stahl C427: Heatable edge paint that is used without primer, I might also test their edge paint PH54 with the primer PH53

Fenice: With their primer AR6250

Vernis 600: This is the test I did today, four coats of paint separated with heat and sanding and finished with beeswax polishing, the difference between the two pieces are the edge I start with, one is sanded with P180, the other up to P400 before the first coat of paint.

Vernis1.thumb.JPG.dbe1a9dc4ba2f2be2e5fe1a0b77d621f.JPG

Vernis3.thumb.JPG.3f451472661f63f09f50f6437e1858d0.JPG

Vernis2.thumb.JPG.dfb16474bf46296d7e04424e99b42fdd.JPG

Hi Danne,

I'll follow this keenly. You've been kind enough to answer a few of my questions on Watchuseek. Could I ask? do you bevel the edges of your watch straps before applying edge paint? 

1 minute ago, Jdswitch said:

Hi Danne,

I'll follow this keenly. You've been kind enough to answer a few of my questions on Watchuseek. Could I ask? do you bevel the edges of your watch straps before applying edge paint? 

I sand the edge transition diagonally with sand paper, since it's just a small bevel I find it easier to round it off with sand paper than an edge beveler.

I will absolutely follow your progress. you are a great source of information. I will try edge painting on veg tan leather this year so your selection will influence my first choice for sure. We have a leatherwork school in Montreal and I just took my first course in leatherwork. They use a French edge paint that I have never heard before;  Stilz Have you ever heard of this paint company. hey seem to have an extensive leather paint selection?