Bert03241

sewing with a Jerk needle

Couple ?s Is sewing holsters or knife sheaths with a jerk needle a acceptable way to sew them ?

If so how do you finish the stitch ? theres like 2 videos on sewing with a Jerk needle and neither one shows how you finish off the last stitch. So do you just cut off the end threads and burn them down/ do you have back stitch at all , How do you finish them?:feedback: Thanks  oh 1 more ? Do you start on your finished side or the back side?

Edited by Bert03241

15 minutes ago, AlamoJoe2002 said:

What is a jerk needle?

:google0dw:

#3 on what is a jerk needle. That is a new one for me.

1 hour ago, AlamoJoe2002 said:

What is a jerk needle?

It's a needle that won't do what you ask it to!   DUH.   :P

But seriously - I don't have a picture handy but have a couple of them around here that came as part of a package deal, but never put them to use.  It's kind of like an awl that has an open hook near the pointy end.  You poke it through the leather, put your thread in the hook and pull it back through the leather.   You then put another thread through and start all over again.   In other words, it makes an interlocking loop stitch - much like a sewing machine - and unlike a saddle-stitch.  

- Bill

PITA       learn two needle and awl sewing.  The illustration shows it following up an awl, so what's the point.

Edited by MikeRock

does anyone know the answer to my ?'s

You need to back stiitch...just cutting the thread and burn the ends is not gonna work. The Jerk (hook)needle does the same stitch as a speedy stitcher or a sewing machine. There is no reason to use a jerk needle on knife sheats or  holsters in my opinion

223-51121001.SLC.jpg?resizeid=22&resizeh=1200&resizew=1200

Edited by LeatherLegion

56 minutes ago, Bert03241 said:

does anyone know the answer to my ?'s

What i do on the ends when hand stitching is on the last stitch tie a knot on the last hole then pull the knot into the material then cut the ends off on the backside then burn the ends so the knots hidden and there's no double stitch..

5 hours ago, LeatherLegion said:

You need to back stiitch...just cutting the thread and burn the ends is not gonna work. The Jerk (hook)needle does the same stitch as a speedy stitcher or a sewing machine. There is no reason to use a jerk needle on knife sheats or  holsters in my opinion

223-51121001.SLC.jpg?resizeid=22&resizeh=1200&resizew=1200

Well since I don't have a sewing machine or a speedy stitcher  I thought I'd try a jerk needle seem it will do the job,:yes:

10 hours ago, billybopp said:

It's a needle that won't do what you ask it to!   DUH. 

Its a needle that steals your last beer and eats the last slice of pizza  :rofl:

I haven't heard ' jerk needle' before, but I have a few speedy stitchers . I have used them on rare occasions, depending on the project or repair I am doing where appearance isn't an issue . I guess,  with practice, they can be used to do a nice stitch.  But I still continue to use the ' two needles & thread' set up. 

HS

there is a video here somewhere of a guy using one to make shoes.. i didn't know what they were either until then, but i did have one someone gave me its not a speedy stitcher but sucks just as bad IMO. i couldnt get mine sharp enough to use, guy in the video used it like an awl but i couldn't get mine sharp enough to push through leather. it makes the same stitch a sewing machine makes.

I hope this clears up any questions out there

https://www.google.com/search?q=jerk needle awl&tbm=#ip=1

DB566A0B-CDE6-4E52-A8B6-BE4C8808B532.png

Edited by Doc Reaper
Because

I went to a couple of Jason Hovatter's shoe making classes in Portland.  We used a jerk needle to sew the uppers to the soles.  The stitch locations were marked on both so we didn't sew the shoe together twisted.  The holes in the sole were made with an awl at each mark, from the flat of the sole coming out in the middle of the edge side. Once that was done, the uppers were lined up and glued onto the sole. Backed stitched the last stitched and tied a knot.  It wasn't lightening fast, but it wasn't difficult.

19 hours ago, Doc Reaper said:

I hope this clears up any questions out there

I have a ' speedy stitcher' awl with a #24 needle from my 441 clone in it. That pic reminds me of it. Only used on particular repairs or projects.

I also have other awls that have smaller needles in them , thats all I ever use for my handstitching. 

HS

On 2/28/2023 at 4:31 PM, Bert03241 said:

Couple ?s Is sewing holsters or knife sheaths with a jerk needle a acceptable way to sew them ?

If so how do you finish the stitch ? theres like 2 videos on sewing with a Jerk needle and neither one shows how you finish off the last stitch. So do you just cut off the end threads and burn them down/ do you have back stitch at all , How do you finish them?:feedback: Thanks  oh 1 more ? Do you start on your finished side or the back side?

I haven't done holsters but when I worked in a saddle shop, a jerk needle was our secret weapon for hand-stitching in difficult places where the machines couldn't get to, or that required a bit of extra care or manipulation.  The lack of info on them is curious to me, and the thread here doesn't quite satisfy your query.  I have used machines, double and single hand needles, speedy-stitchers, etc.  I find a jerk needle to be much more effective than a speedy-stitcher, a tool I do not particularly like at all.  The reason for that is that the jerk needle can perform the lock-stitch and then be moved out of the way so that your hands can set the stitch tight and proper.  A speedy-stitcher isn't nearly as speedy and the sharp needle is always in the way.  Don't use the jerk-needle as a hole-maker.  Pre-punch your holes with whatever means you have and then use the jerk-needle.  On the welt of a saddle seat, we would mark the holes with a hole marker and then use a drill to go through all the layers, then use a jerk needle in an awl haft.  Having tried the other methods, a jerk needle can be much faster with excellent stitches than the other options once you get your technique right.  As for finishing a row and setting the stitch, it's just like any other method where you need to pull a little loop through, make a little knot, set the stitch and knot back in the middle of your material, cut the ends, and melt any remnants. 

I'm not sure if that is entirely clear, perhaps I should make a video on the technique someday.  However, I hold the tool in high regard and it just doesn't seem to be utilized to its potential for some reason.