Flintlock67

Mold on leather travelling bag

Hello everyone hope you can help. 
i have a 3 piece set of leather travelling bags which suffer from recurring mold patches. I’ve tried various mold removers on sale here in the UK, which are successful in removing the mold but within a week or so it returns. 
Does anyone know how to permanently remove the mold and how to keep it at bay please?

I live in the UK any comments would be appreciated  

Thank you

John

Where & how are they stored when not in use ?  If the place where they are stored is damp , no wonder you have mold.  

You could  try  a damp cloth with a mix of vinegar & water or rubbing alcohol & water. Don't soak the leather .  You need to kill the spores that cause the mold.  Just a few ideas. 

HS

You didn't indicate whether you tried the internet.  Perhaps that's how you found us?  In any event, the following is a pretty comprehensive resource.  The main thing, as pointed out, is the conditions you are storing the leather goods in.  That might be the culprit and until you address that you might continue to have problems.  

https://www.libertyleathergoods.com/how-to-clean-mold-from-leather/

This is what has helped me:

Fill a spray bottle with a mix of 50% white vinegar and water. Spray the bags liberally inside and out, even where you donot see mold, because the spores and mycelia exist but are not visible to the naked eye. (You can also use a mixture of 30% rubbing alcohol and 70% water). Vinegar is acidic and should not harm the leather. 

The entire bag should be sprayed well. Then, allow to dry outside, preferably in the sun. If you like, once dry, you can do this once more, if the mold is really severe. Then allow to dry well and in the open air, the smell of vinegar should disappear in a couple of days. 

Once you are sure the bags are completely dry,  apply a water resistant or waterproofing balm. Anything with beeswax should work. The beeswax will decrease the exposure to moisture which could again cause mold. The conditioning is important to preserve the leather.  Ensure you rub in the conditioner on every part of each bag.Store in a dry area with a couple of bags of dessicant inside the bags. In the storag area, if possible, keep dessicants as well, or use rock salt.

Buy 2 plastic buckets which fit one inside the other. Punch a hole on the base of the inner bucket. Add some rock salt into this inner bucket. Rock salt is hygroscopic and the water collects at the bottom of the inner bucket. The hole in it allows the water to drain into the outside bucket. Empty the outer bucket periodically. This decreases the humidity in the area to some extent.

Hope this helps.

Edited by SUP

Thanks very much for your replies Handstitched, Tugadude and SUP much appreciated. The bags are kept in a spare bedroom and the relative humidity is around 58. Don’t know if this is too high?

I’ve tried rubbing alcohol and water but mold returns. I’ve also tried a mold remover but again it comes back. It looks like I need to reduce the RH to around 50. 

Thanks

What colour is the mold?

Black is long term condensation mold, light grey is short term humidy condensation mold

In all cases, use latex gloves whilst handling and avoid breathing in any dust from the subjects. All forms of mould are dangerous to peoples' lungs

I would try a heavy coating of baking soda soaked in with white vinegar sprayed in. You'll need to do all the cases, inside and out. Leave to dry out side but do not put them back in the room