Sign in to follow this  
TomE

Stirrup Leathers and Reins

Made a few things while working on a matching bridle.  Pushing the envelope with black tack (dressage) instead of my usual brown (jumpers and hunters).  HO bridle butt with hardware from Weaver (stud hooks, rein buckle) and Abbey England (stirrup buckles, rein grips).  Oh, and I am finally on speaking terms with my plough gauge so I thought I'd show it.

DSC_9421.thumb.jpg.055ee1b7278009e2d20571cf97d33500.jpg

DSC_9433.thumb.jpg.23aae4a24f2ce5bb105cb85f5d9fc0d6.jpg

DSC_9434.thumb.jpg.59fa1c9ae4fc21b71691dab9f7c843f7.jpg

As beautiful as all your work!

Beautiful work as always Tom!

And that plough gauge looks sweet, glad to read that you are on speaking terms with it :-)

On 3/3/2023 at 1:18 AM, Klara said:

As beautiful as all your work!

Thank you, @Klara.  I appreciate it.  

On 3/4/2023 at 7:18 AM, Mulesaw said:

Beautiful work as always Tom!

And that plough gauge looks sweet, glad to read that you are on speaking terms with it :-)

Thanks, Jonas.  Two changes that made me happier with the plough gauge.  I finally put a small bevel on the backside of the blade that relieved pinching of the strap against the guide.  Also I covered my bench with a sheet of HDPE which allows the plough gauge to glide over the surface.  The base was apparently dragging/digging in on the plywood.  Also, the HDPE is a great work surface for cutting out leather with minimal damage to the blades.  

IMG-6464.thumb.jpg.535b2a947672d3d671f2d9d724169091.jpg

@TomE

That worktable looks fantastic!

At some point (hopefully in the near future), I am going to convert our old greenhouse to a leather shop, I might copy that idea.

3 hours ago, Mulesaw said:

@TomE

That worktable looks fantastic!

At some point (hopefully in the near future), I am going to convert our old greenhouse to a leather shop, I might copy that idea.

The white sheet also brightens up my workshop for these old eyes.  I bought 1/8" HDPE in a 4' x 8' sheet at one of our big box stores, Menards.  Had to drill and counter sink the holes to screw it on my plywood bench. I was told that the HDPE can be sanded if it becomes heavily grooved from knife cuts.  So far it seems fine.