SixMile

Packaging when Mailing items

I have heard of people including a postcard type item in the packaging when mailing items.  I only include a business card but want to up my game to be more professional.  I would like to know if any of you put in extra stuff like that when mailing items and if so what kind of stuff?  I don't even know what to put on a postcard type item. 

Thanks,

16 minutes ago, SixMile said:

I have heard of people including a postcard type item in the packaging when mailing items.  I only include a business card but want to up my game to be more professional.  I would like to know if any of you put in extra stuff like that when mailing items and if so what kind of stuff?  I don't even know what to put on a postcard type item. 

Thanks,

When i do a tooling pattern, i usually do some practice on scrap first then if it looks good I'll make it into a key fob and send it along too. i guess a guy could do the same with their logo. 

1 hour ago, SixMile said:

Thanks,

Buck knives always put in a little slip of paper explaining a bit about their company and their beliefs.  I have kind of adopted it and include this in mine.

image.png.ac3e32f665d1722f9f66188b04951772.png

Very Nice Pastor Bob.  I like that a lot. 

I include a business card and a thank you card. Often I’ll include an extra piece of leatherwork. A small wallet in a purse.

I have even sent high quality wallets inclosed in a purse. The wallet being the purchased item.

I like pleasingly surprising people.

I ordered a tool a few months back. The tool came in a red gold padded foil  envelope package.
Just the ‘unusual sight’ of the red gold foiled padded envelope package  brightened my day .

so I have since purchased gold foiled bubble packing envelops to ship my items in. Wallets in boxes. And the boxes  in the padded foil envelopes.

I like shipping them too. It makes the item look special in my mind.

Joel

In my wallets I add a card that says; "Thank you for your purchase.  My mother always told that it's bad luck to give someone an empty wallet.  May this lucky dollar bill bring you good fortune."  I add a dollar bill and write Lucky Dollar on the back.

My wife sews harnesses for sled dogs, and each order that goes out has a 'thank you' card in it.

I used to add a business card, but response  was a very low percentage. Now it is simply a packing slip with order information, contact information, and a thank you message.

I usually offer a coaster or a skillet handle when I deliver a holster.

I send out 6 inch rulers with my logo and contact info with my new customer orders and every so often with repeat buyers. I also give them away at shows. There are now over 9000 rulers out there. 
    Several years ago someone asked me why I don’t have stickers. I didn’t know and at that time didn’t realize the extent of “sticker culture”. I ordered  them in small for cups and large for toolboxes and shop refrigerators. 5000 of each in circulation now. 
    My suppliers and other leather friends send me stickers with orders and the refrigerator and shop door are pretty well adorned, as are my two Yeti cups. 

Lots of great ideas here. 

So far our little company has only sent out something like 4 packages in total, so we haven't gotten that far. But if people come to pick up a repair job, I usually ad a business card with a paperclip to the bill. 

@PastorBob Funny that you should mention Buck knives. I bought one about 30 years ago and still remember that inlay note that they put in the box.

Interesting that this came up now.  Yesterday my wife and I received our gift from the new MLS Soccer team in St. Louis, the St. Louis City SC (Soccer Club).  We are founding season ticket holders and their first home game is tonight!  Can't wait!

But getting back to the gift for season ticket holders.  The box it came in was among the most beautiful boxes I've ever seen anything packaged in, bar none.  I will take a picture later and post it because I think it really is nicely done.  The box made a huge impact on me, someone who usually couldn't care less what the packaging looks like as I'm really interested in what is inside.

This box challenged that belief.  At least for a time!  I still don't care much for sexy packaging.

I like the ideas of "useful" extra items.  The key fob, coaster, small card wallet, etc. I think would be very well received and a big surprise.

And of course Pastor Bob's note is the most special.  For anyone who isn't a believer it would be the best gift they ever receive.  So long as they follow through.  

May I come in?

1. My #1 son puts a business card and a card with a similar message to Pastor Bob's in with every order he sends out (Note to me; I must get some printed up)

2. May I say of a few things NOT to put in. These are the sort of things I get in packets

a. packets of sweets/confectionary. One time I even got a scone in a parcel

b. adverts for other businesses not directly linked to the sender, eg I get adverts for;  cases of wine delivered at a special price, or for replacement PVC windows, or to re-mortgage my house

c. novelty gifts not linked to the item sent, I don't mean leather keyrings and such, but other things. I recently got from a plastic model supplier a really ugly Chinese demon head with a long fringe for hanging up - WHY? or the whoopee cushion I got from a hardware supplier (double WHY?), or the small LED light torch in the shape of a van sent by a moulding resin supplier

3. Some things that others have sent me include; 1. a nice 'thank you' card and sometimes on that card or another an offer of X% off my next order using a code on the card. Even though I rarely take up the offer it is welcome should I want to.  2. A detailed card with instructions on either the item or how to contact the seller. eg, This morning I received a 20cm cube display box. It is 6 panels to slot together. I know how to do it but the seller included a slip of paper with detailed instructions for assembly which others might really need

On #3; I used sell sets of 'Linka' walls to build little houses & buildings for model railway layouts. I always included an exploded diagram of construction and also a sheet of tips on how to construct the building

I recently (as in a few years ago) sold a few desk top pen pots, from a Tandy pattern. I sold them flat but with instructions on how to fold it up to make the pot

Always assume the customer is the most stupidist person on earth that you have ever met

3 hours ago, fredk said:

May I come in?

1. My #1 son puts a business card and a card with a similar message to Pastor Bob's in with every order he sends out (Note to me; I must get some printed up)

2. May I say of a few things NOT to put in. These are the sort of things I get in packets

a. packets of sweets/confectionary. One time I even got a scone in a parcel

b. adverts for other businesses not directly linked to the sender, eg I get adverts for;  cases of wine delivered at a special price, or for replacement PVC windows, or to re-mortgage my house

c. novelty gifts not linked to the item sent, I don't mean leather keyrings and such, but other things. I recently got from a plastic model supplier a really ugly Chinese demon head with a long fringe for hanging up - WHY? or the whoopee cushion I got from a hardware supplier (double WHY?), or the small LED light torch in the shape of a van sent by a moulding resin supplier

3. Some things that others have sent me include; 1. a nice 'thank you' card and sometimes on that card or another an offer of X% off my next order using a code on the card. Even though I rarely take up the offer it is welcome should I want to.  2. A detailed card with instructions on either the item or how to contact the seller. eg, This morning I received a 20cm cube display box. It is 6 panels to slot together. I know how to do it but the seller included a slip of paper with detailed instructions for assembly which others might really need

On #3; I used sell sets of 'Linka' walls to build little houses & buildings for model railway layouts. I always included an exploded diagram of construction and also a sheet of tips on how to construct the building

I recently (as in a few years ago) sold a few desk top pen pots, from a Tandy pattern. I sold them flat but with instructions on how to fold it up to make the pot

Always assume the customer is the most stupidist person on earth that you have ever met

Not saying they are right or wrong to do it, but Colonel Littleton, a popular leather company here in the states puts Moon Pies in their packages.  They seem to go over well based on the responses.  They come in the packaging they would be purchased in at a local store so they can be deemed safe to consume.

image.jpeg.b477538ebf28f13ea3ea19352f21d86d.jpegMoon Pie – Batch

So again, the reason I'm sharing this is because it really did make a huge impact on me, a person who generally yawns when people talk about cool packaging.  To me this was an exception, showed tremendous thought and expressed pure class.  If you go, go all the way I guess.  I felt like a valued customer and my being a founding member was well recognized.

STLcitySCbox1.jpg

Edited by Tugadude

STLcitySCbox2.thumb.jpg.3252023d3425bc8e22080f4cc22d818c.jpg

Edited by Tugadude

On 3/3/2023 at 1:17 PM, SixMile said:

Very Nice Pastor Bob.  I like that a lot. 

Thanks!  My late wife helped me pen that.

On 3/3/2023 at 1:24 PM, GrampaJoel said:

I include a business card and a thank you card. Often I’ll include an extra piece of leatherwork. A small wallet in a purse.

I have even sent high quality wallets inclosed in a purse. The wallet being the purchased item.

I like pleasingly surprising people.

I ordered a tool a few months back. The tool came in a red gold padded foil  envelope package.
Just the ‘unusual sight’ of the red gold foiled padded envelope package  brightened my day .

so I have since purchased gold foiled bubble packing envelops to ship my items in. Wallets in boxes. And the boxes  in the padded foil envelopes.

I like shipping them too. It makes the item look special in my mind.

Joel

That's a great idea.  Love the unique bubble wrap.  I bet it does add color.

On 3/3/2023 at 6:44 PM, mike02130 said:

In my wallets I add a card that says; "Thank you for your purchase.  My mother always told that it's bad luck to give someone an empty wallet.  May this lucky dollar bill bring you good fortune."  I add a dollar bill and write Lucky Dollar on the back.

I have a couple "lucky" bills in my wallet.  Following Dad's footsteps.

Thank you all for your replies.  It is all very helpful.  I am working on a postcard with some info like Pastor Bob's and I also like the idea of a little something extra like a key fob.  I have only made a few wallets for customers but I have always put in a $2 bill and business card. I was once told by either my grandfather or my father or maybe both that you never give a wallet as a present that is empty. 

Jeepers-o, I'm a tight fist compared to you lot. I only put a one penny coin in my coin purses! The Oirish always look for their 'lucky penny' upon buying anything, so thats what they get from me - a single penny. I aint one for giving money away

Just remembered; My #1 used to have the year calander printed on the reverse of his Christian message card. He reckoned people wouldn't be so fast to throw it away then

On packaging; I wrap the item in colourful tissue paper before it goes into a small box or fancy paper bag

With new customers i include a simple card wallet with a few of my cards. I usually make them using scrap pieces of embossed animal prints to jazz it up a bit. Ive also sent a few key fobs. If its a good regular male customer who is married ive added a set of tooled earrings or small bag for the mrs. But doing that i figure the guy want catch as much grief next leather he needs if i bribe there wifes a little along the way. 

I include a swing tag with business name/details on one side and a thank you note on the other specific to that person.  I use the same thread I used to make the item to attach. I also add a small leather swing tag with my business name stamped into the leather. All gets wrapped in tissue paper etc. for the opening experience.

Edited by JamesScott
spelling

On 3/6/2023 at 3:02 PM, SixMile said:

Thank you all for your replies.  It is all very helpful.  I am working on a postcard with some info like Pastor Bob's and I also like the idea of a little something extra like a key fob.  I have only made a few wallets for customers but I have always put in a $2 bill and business card. I was once told by either my grandfather or my father or maybe both that you never give a wallet as a present that is empty. 

Funny, Colonel Littleton just announced via email (I'm on their list) that this weekend they are putting $2 bills in wallets and $100 in one lucky wallet.  I would argue that at the prices they charge for their wallets they'll still come out way ahead.

Feelin' Lucky?

That's a really good idea!