I was wandering through Tandy's last week and came across some "Vintage, glazed, Water Buffalo Bend". It was actually pretty nice and even reasonably priced. Was all set to sew it last night and my damn awl blade tip snapped off so I'll have to break out the whetstone today. 

I want to do a sword belt later on but have to do some research so it's period correct. The buckle is from Hanover Brass. 

Untitled.jpg

Edited by BridleButt

10 minutes ago, BridleButt said:

I was wandering through Tandy's last week and came across some "Vintage, glazed, Water Buffalo Bend". It was actually pretty nice and even reasonably priced. Was all set to sew it last night and my damn awl blade tip snapped off so I'll have to break out the whetstone today. 

I want to do a sword belt later on but have to do some research so it's period correct. The buckle is from Hanover Brass. 

Untitled.jpg

that's nice looking leather you will have a great looking belt. Is it for reenactments?

That is a nice looking belt. Some time ago, I got got a pioneer bag kit from Weaver leather, it was the same water buffalo. It was a stiff leather and will take quite awhile to soften , but when it does it will be one great bag. Be sure and post a pic of the sword belt

Thank you Chuck. SASS. 

1 minute ago, rleather said:

That is a nice looking belt. Some time ago, I got got a pioneer bag kit from Weaver leather, it was the same water buffalo. It was a stiff leather and will take quite awhile to soften , but when it does it will be one great bag. Be sure and post a pic of the sword belt

Definitely a stiff leather. Let's see your bag!!! 

Edited by BridleButt

It has not been used yet, so it is pretty flat.

013.jpg

012.jpg

011.jpg

2 hours ago, rleather said:

It has not been used yet, so it is pretty flat.

013.jpg

012.jpg

011.jpg

nice possible bag !!

22 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

nice possible bag !!

Thanks Chuck. It's one of those things you make and forget about:rofl:. Now that I have it out I need to put it to use.

21 hours ago, rleather said:

Thanks Chuck. It's one of those things you make and forget about:rofl:. Now that I have it out I need to put it to use.

that's one  of the things that started my leather journey 40+ year ago. 

possiblebag.JPG

Very,Very nice!

6 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

possiblebag.JPG

Very,Very nice!

20 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

possiblebag.JPG

Looks like it will last another 40 years.  Great keepsake to pass on to other generations when the time comes.

Very nice. Where did you source the buckle? 

Dang, please post front and back pictures when  you attach the adjustable part of the buckle.  At least that looks like the Civil War version as opposed to the modern version.  I have various kinds of ways to attach the belt on the back of the cartridges, but I used leather that was too thick on the first one I'm working on.  Blockade Runner has a lot of that sort of thing.

Hi JW, Hanover Brass is where he got that one, Parsley Brass is also good.  I usually by Tim Parsley's stuff. 

Later

Edited by 1961Mike

On 3/26/2023 at 10:34 PM, 1961Mike said:

Dang, please post front and back pictures when  you attach the adjustable part of the buckle.  At least that looks like the Civil War version as opposed to the modern version.  I have various kinds of ways to attach the belt on the back of the cartridges, but I used leather that was too thick on the first one I'm working on.  Blockade Runner has a lot of that sort of thing.

Hi JW, Hanover Brass is where he got that one, Parsley Brass is also good.  I usually by Tim Parsley's stuff. 

Later

Thanks. 

On 4/4/2023 at 6:29 PM, BridleButt said:

That’s the modern version

Dang it, I'm having too much fun trying to attach the Civil War version.

Later