Sign in to follow this  
DwightT

Looking for a holster pattern suggestion

I just finished off a project (guitar strap for my grandson - a first for me), so for my next project I'm thinking of taking on a making a holster.  I haven't really done much with guns (just haven't taken the time yet) but I have a Taurus 85 Ultralight that my sister gave me a while back that could use a holster, if only for the learning experience.  Any suggestions for a holster pattern?  I know next to nothing about the different styles of holsters, but I'm thinking of a simple belt clip type with some tooling (so not wet-molded).  I'm looking at the Bullseye Holster Pattern Pack from Tandy, but again since I know nothing about holsters I can't really tell if any of those would be appropriate or not for this gun.

TIA for any suggestions.

/dwight

If you're talking about the little 5-shot revolver, about any pattern for a "j-frame" will work (the taurus is just a smidge smaller).  This one includes a belt loop, tooling area, and thumb break retention strap, ... aimed to be a tad looser than some for the m85

Leather Gun Holster PATTERN Smith Wesson J-frame Taurus 85 - Etsy

1 hour ago, DwightT said:

I just finished off a project (guitar strap for my grandson - a first for me), so for my next project I'm thinking of taking on a making a holster.  I haven't really done much with guns (just haven't taken the time yet) but I have a Taurus 85 Ultralight that my sister gave me a while back that could use a holster, if only for the learning experience.  Any suggestions for a holster pattern?  I know next to nothing about the different styles of holsters, but I'm thinking of a simple belt clip type with some tooling (so not wet-molded).  I'm looking at the Bullseye Holster Pattern Pack from Tandy, but again since I know nothing about holsters I can't really tell if any of those would be appropriate or not for this gun.

TIA for any suggestions.

/dwight

where will you carry it and why? That will help pick you rig. is your state a concealed carry are there laws if you do or are you just toting it out fishing or to the range.

Just now, chuck123wapati said:

where will you carry it and why? That will help pick you rig. is your state a concealed carry are there laws if you do or are you just toting it out fishing or to the range.

i have this pattern its a pretty basic holster

border4.JPG

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

is your state a concealed carry are there laws

thassa good point ;)

3 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

Idaho is Open Carry (Constitutional Carry?), so I could pretty much carry it anywhere I want whenever I want unless the store or whatever posts a "No Guns" sign (which would probably send me somewhere else regardless of if I'm carrying or not).  However I doubt if I will actually carry this one much at all.  Right now I mostly just want to get some experience with making a holster, partly because I've had family and friends ask me when I can make one for them.  The Taurus (and it is a 5-shot) isn't really an appropriate gun for me (trigger is too damn heavy) so I'll probably eventually sell it and get something else.  I just think it might be a good one to practice on for a starter holster. 

@chuck123wapati your holster looks like about exactly what I was thinking of, so if you have the pattern in a digital for would you mind sharing it?  Or I'll just go get Jeff's.  It looks like it will do the job for me also.

/dwight

Chuck... show us the 'back' o that un.  Sewed on loop?

8 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

Chuck... show us the 'back' o that un.  Sewed on loop?

i cant find that picture but its just like this one.  i re did this holster for the same man, he wanted one that rode higher than the old fashioned western type and wanted a cant to it so this is what i came up with, The strap is sewn under the top of the loop kind of like a welt, it is shaped like the stitching at the base and keeps the cant where it should be.  they ride high and tight.

redo7.JPG

Idaho is Open Carry (Constitutional Carry?), so I could pretty much carry it anywhere I want whenever I want unless the store or whatever posts a "No Guns" sign (which would probably send me somewhere else regardless of if I'm carrying or not).  However I doubt if I will actually carry this one much at all.  Right now I mostly just want to get some experience with making a holster, partly because I've had family and friends ask me when I can make one for them.  The Taurus (and it is a 5-shot) isn't really an appropriate gun for me (trigger is too damn heavy) so I'll probably eventually sell it and get something else.  I just think it might be a good one to practice on for a starter holster. 

@chuck123wapati your holster looks like about exactly what I was thinking of, so if you have the pattern in a digital for would you mind sharing it?  Or I'll just go get Jeff's.  It looks like it will do the job for me also.

/dwight

i will be glad to scan it for you if you have a printer you can just print it, i'm old fashioned i guess.

/dwight

ok this fits the s&w 8 shot 22 cal revolver  it should be pretty close , you may have to adjust it a bit. not much to it.  

s&w8shot (1).pdf

8 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

i have this pattern its a pretty basic holster

I like that. Not much into guns,  but thats nice.  Its about time I made a few more holsters, mainly cos they look good carved and for the experience and make good  ad displays at markets etc. 

HS 

17 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

ok this fits the s&w 8 shot 22 cal revolver  it should be pretty close , you may have to adjust it a bit. not much to it. 

Thanks.  Between this pattern and Jeff's I should be able to come up something that will give me an idea as to how to make a holster.  Should keep me off the streets for a couple weeks now.

/dwight

Just now, DwightT said:

Thanks.  Between this pattern and Jeff's I should be able to come up something that will give me an idea as to how to make a holster.  Should keep me off the streets for a couple weeks now.

/dwight

yw i know mines pretty minimalist and may be a problem if your new to holsters. That's so i  can customize them or adjust them as needed for any number of gun sizes, barrel lengths and loop options. if you have questions don't hesitate to ask.