MtlBiker

Adhesive Reinforcing Tape?

Many months ago there was mention somewhere here about an adhesive reinforcing tape that would be used along seams when extra strength is needed.  I bought some (white and black) at the time and I never used it until today.  It's really good... peel off the backing and put it in place and it can either hide the stitching or reinforce it if you stitch through it.  And I can't remember what the tape is called or where I got it.  It's thinner than binding material and it's very strong (I couldn't tear it).  And the adhesive seems really strong.  If I'm not mistaken it came from Europe somewhere (Great Britain or Germany?).

Any idea what this is?

Maybe Jaeger or NST?

following.

Would it work well for machine sewing and not having to use glue?

1 hour ago, PastorBob said:

following.

Would it work well for machine sewing and not having to use glue?

As I said, I'd never used it before until yesterday.  But the adhesive is really strong and it very likely could work well.  But replacing glue?  This is not double-sided adhesive tape... it's some kind of thin and very tough material with an adhesive backing.  Peel off the backing and apply.  I wish I could remember where I got it and what it is called.  But I know for sure that it was from a lead here on the forum that I found out about it. I thought it was interesting so I bought some.

FOUND IT!!!!

I got it from Extremtextil in Germany.  It is called (#72248) Dacron Polyester Insignia fabric adhesive tape, 20mm.  It also says "Country of origin: TW" whatever that means.  ExtremTextil Germany

1 hour ago, MtlBiker said:

As I said, I'd never used it before until yesterday.  But the adhesive is really strong and it very likely could work well.  But replacing glue?  This is not double-sided adhesive tape... it's some kind of thin and very tough material with an adhesive backing.  Peel off the backing and apply.  I wish I could remember where I got it and what it is called.  But I know for sure that it was from a lead here on the forum that I found out about it. I thought it was interesting so I bought some.

FOUND IT!!!!

I got it from Extremtextil in Germany.  It is called (#72248) Dacron Polyester Insignia fabric adhesive tape, 20mm.  It also says "Country of origin: TW" whatever that means.  ExtremTextil Germany

Thanks!  Can you give an example of use if not to hold together items for stitching?

3 hours ago, PastorBob said:

Thanks!  Can you give an example of use if not to hold together items for stitching?

Do I dare admit how badly I screwed something up?  You guys will probably laugh at me.

I screwed up with a messenger bag I was making, using 600D Cordura for the exterior and interfaced quilting cotton for the interior.  I was fitting closure straps between the layers (at that point the straps were four layers of Cordura and there were three layers of Cordura (for body parts) and two layers of cotton with woven interfacing plus Decovil Lite interfacing - altogether pretty thick) and I was having an "oldtimers" moment and instead of fitting the straps so that when I turn the bag right side out the straps would be on the outside, I screwed up and they would have been on the inside.  So I had to unpick the stitching around the straps.  And the Cordura was weakened, sort of like perforated paper.  I put the straps in the right way, and restitched.  And then I noticed I'd screwed up AGAIN!

One of the female buckles (of two) was reversed, so that the curve of the buckle was not following the curve of the bag.  So I had to unstitch AGAIN.  SIGH

And now I felt the Cordura would be REALLY weakened.  I almost thought to throw the thing away but I'd already put a few hours into it.  That's when I thought of the tape.  I applied it to top and bottom where the strap was (working on the wrong side of the bag parts) and stitched over all that.  The end result looks fine and I'm pretty confident that it's structurally sound and that the strap won't pull out.

The second photo shows the bottom straps with the female part of the buckles.  (I hadn't put the interior in yet on the photo nor pushed out the seams yet.  I'd just turned it right side out to see if it was going to be alright.)

IMG_1829.JPG

IMG_1833.JPG

Is that the same as cold tape used to prevent stretching like this: https://www.amazon.com/Lanas-Fabric-Cold-Tape-Black/dp/B018JO5FDA ? 

12 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

Do I dare admit how badly I screwed something up?  You guys will probably laugh at me.

I've done similar things for sure, have to stop, take it apart, try again. Done it more than once. Hopefully it's a lesson learned well about paying attention to detail. I've got on my workbench a nice leather tray I use for rivets or screws or spare parts for whatever I'm working on that's painstakingly carved and antiqued with a customer's wrong initials. I noticed after it was done and it made more sense to make him a new one than to try to fix it, so now I get to keep the mistake as an aid to memory. When we're lucky, we laugh at ourselves instead of getting upset. 

Now I understand.  Thanks for sharing the pics.  Sorry you had so much trouble. Glad you were able to fix it, not toss it.  

5 hours ago, MedusaOblongata said:

Is that the same as cold tape used to prevent stretching like this: https://www.amazon.com/Lanas-Fabric-Cold-Tape-Black/dp/B018JO5FDA ?

No, I don't think it's the same.  The one I have is dacron polyester and very very thin (yet strong) and this one says "cloth tape".