jadub

Overlap seam with a machine

Hi,

does anyone know what type of machine the fashion industry uses to get their beautiful overlap seams?

6E2ED40C-4AAB-4AB3-98C9-3FBB959B5EB7.jpeg

I don't think it is a function of a specific machine, just a different design and pattern.  Stitching looks the same throughout the image you shared.

All the bags I see now, I never looked until I got into leather, have overlap seams. I have a cylinder arm and flat bed but could never make an overlap seam down the side of a tote with those. Maybe a shoe repair machine or post bed? I look at the stitch work on commercial/fashion bags and am stunned by the quality. That’s completely aside from the fact that I can’t physically do an overlap down the side of my bags. 

9 hours ago, jadub said:

All the bags I see now, I never looked until I got into leather, have overlap seams. I have a cylinder arm and flat bed but could never make an overlap seam down the side of a tote with those. Maybe a shoe repair machine or post bed? I look at the stitch work on commercial/fashion bags and am stunned by the quality. That’s completely aside from the fact that I can’t physically do an overlap down the side of my bags. 

You don't think the sides were possibly sewn first, and then the bottom sewn in (with the bag inside out) and then turned right side out?  You don't show the construction of the bottom in the photo you posted but that would be my guess.  Sounds like you have the machines to do this with.  But like you, I don't have a post bed machine and I keep toying with the idea of one day getting one.  Do you  have any other photos of the bad to show more of the construction details?

The machine for that job is a tall post. This is a couple of pictures of one I have here. It is a Cowboy CB 8365.

I have not had time to do any videos yet but I will try and get some up soon.

DSC03137_resize.JPG

DSC03139_resize.JPG

DSC03165_resize.JPG

Edited by RockyAussie

I can’t picture how to sew a long seam down each side of the bag on either of my machines. Here are a couple of other pics. I’m not sure if this clarifies it though.

7A365631-C4ED-430A-8198-2817A570F04B.jpeg

D34ACB39-F913-4B40-996E-ED90806B6209.jpeg

That’s a nice looking one. I’ll look into it. Maybe put it on my wish list. Thank you all for responding.

that’s what I had pictured initially but couldn’t find anything like it. I can’t find the Cowboy mentioned above but there is a Techsew like it.

Dont forget skill of the user, though most factory workers only sew the same item every day, where as most leather workers are jack of all trades

Seriously, I alternate between flabbergasted and mad. Repetitiveness makes perfect, and boredom. I do appreciate their skill though. I’d love to see them work for a day.

14 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

The machine for that job is a tall post. This is a couple of pictures of one I have here. It is a Cowboy CB 8365.

I have not had time to do any videos yet but I will try and get some up soon.

DSC03137_resize.JPG

DSC03139_resize.JPG

DSC03165_resize.JPG

That's quite the machine there!

7 hours ago, PastorBob said:

That's quite the machine there!

That it is. I have never come across any other machine that can sew that close to the edge of a product. Only problem I have with it is that the needle goes in the other direction (long slot to the right) and so does the thread. Cant think how many times out of habit I have put the thread in from the left instead of the right.:wub: Makes stitching tall totes an easy job when you get it right though. :thumbsup:.  I have done a bit of a crappy video (more crappy that my usual stuff) on a tote bag stitch which I will put up soon only because there is so little to be seen out there on these machines in use. 

That would be great. I’d really like to see it in action.

On 3/9/2023 at 10:08 AM, jadub said:

That would be great. I’d really like to see it in action.

Here ya go - https://youtu.be/ncEgTJhOORs

Awesome work!

be well.