Sign in to follow this  
ScottEnglish

C. S. Osborne round-hole punches

I've used some C. S. Osborne No. 245 belt punches. Is there any advantage in using their other round-hole punches? Namely the No. 147 drive punch and the No. 149 arch/wad punch.

Thanks.

It all depends on what you are making.  I have more than a dozen hole punches of various sizes. including the rotary punch tools.  Can't say that I have used them all, but have used 4 or 5 of them on the buscadero gun belt rig I am currently working on.  I don't think any of mine are Osborne punches.  Some are from Tandy, others from Weaver, and I think one set was originally used to punch out rubber gaskets.  They all work beautifully on leather...as long as they are sharp.

Hi PastorBob. Thanks for your reply. I agree with you, a sharp punch makes all the difference! However, I'm curious as to whether the C. S. Osborne No. 147 and No. 149 punches offer any advantage over the No. 245 punch. Hence my question.

1 hour ago, ScottEnglish said:

Hi PastorBob. Thanks for your reply. I agree with you, a sharp punch makes all the difference! However, I'm curious as to whether the C. S. Osborne No. 147 and No. 149 punches offer any advantage over the No. 245 punch. Hence my question.

Not sure.  They look like they would function the same, just a different form.  It appears the arch punch would waller out the top of the hole more, especially with thicker leather.  Seems to have more taper than the 245 punch.  

Hello again PastorBob. Yes, I see what you mean about the No. 149 arch punch. It does taper more. That would be a negative for me. Thanks for pointing that out.

2 hours ago, ScottEnglish said:

Hello again PastorBob. Yes, I see what you mean about the No. 149 arch punch. It does taper more. That would be a negative for me. Thanks for pointing that out.

my pleasure.

In view of PastorBob's observation about the No. 149 arch punch I will amend my question: Is the C. S. Osborne No. 147 drive punch superior in use to the No. 245 belt punch?

Thanks.

Edited by ScottEnglish

I have exactly one #245 punch and it works great in 9-10 oz leather.  Like all Osborne tools, it needed to be sharpened when new.  I'll be buying more sizes of the #245, maybe as the #K-245 set of belt punches.  I agree that the #147 punch looks like it has more taper and might be best for lightweight leather.  I don't see the #145 punch on the current website https://www.csosborneleathertools.com/category/punches.

Thanks for the reply TomE. You've mixed up the No. 147 and No. 149 punches. It's the No. 149 that PastorBob commented has more taper. Not the No. 147. All three punches are on the website you linked to.

Your comment that the No. 149 might be best suited to lightweight leather makes sense. Here in the UK one supplier of this tool even groups it with some other tools under the heading Packing and gasket tools. They also describe the No. 147 punch as being a saddler's punch. I know nothing about saddlery, but I presume there will be some very thick leather to punch through.

4 hours ago, ScottEnglish said:

In view of PastorBob's observation about the No. 149 arch punch I will amend my question: Is the C. S. Osborne No. 147 drive punch superior in use to the No. 245 belt punch?

Thanks.

The difference in use is that the #147 punches have a flattened handle and the #245 punches have a round handle. Most people find the flattened handle easier to twist out of a hole than the round handle. The clearance holes seem overall smoother on the 149s as well. It is no doubt easier to manufacture the 245s and that likely accounts for the 3x price difference between the two styles. Also note that the number sizing are not the same between the 147 and 245 punches once you get larger than the #6. 

Thanks Bruce Johnson for your post. If you're not aware, the clearance holes taper on the No. 147 and No. 149 punches unlike on the No. 245. A definite improvement.

Yes sir, that is correct also. The origin of the “belt” punches goes back to flat drive belts on machinery powered by line shafts. They were intended as a price point  tool used by mechanics and users to punch holes for splicing belts. Easy to make on a lathe from round stock. The tapered clearance punches are forged and have more involved in production. 
     It kind of gets me when people grind a inside tapered punch to make a half round scalloper. They tend to undercut because of the taper. A cheaper belt punch makes a much better scalloper. 

Thanks for that Bruce. I'd no idea how the belt punches were made. I'd also not considered the extra work involved in producing the No. 147 and No. 149 punches. No wonder they're so much more expensive. As I only need one hole punch, I might buy a No. 147.