Bazza

Lockstitch sewing machine

Guys I really need some help with this. This is not regarding my walking foot leather machine but my garment lockstitch machine I really need right now.

I went over a zipper and broke the needle..fine..this is not unheard of. However  then realised after that I am not getting a full rotation of the handwheel. I thought it was a thread jam in the shuttle.Its not. So I decided it had to be some internal issue.

I popped of the front fascia and saw this cable loosely poking out of the internal mechanism. It obviously was attached somewhere but im not sure what it is .I pulled it out to take the photos. SCan someone knowledgeable pls tell me what this cable is and how one gets access to the  internals of these machines?

It cant be normal that a broken needle scenario would cause this damage?. pls help..I really need to use this machine currently.

20230309_211941_e.jpg

20230309_211911_e.jpg

20230309_211953_e1.jpg

What is the make and model of the sewing machine? I'm afraid that photo doesn't provide much information.

Hi, 

I agree but this is all I have.If someone can tell me what part the cable is then I can begin to understand what is stopping the rotation

And where it goes in the machine.

Its an American ( I believe) make called Kissing" Just a straightstitch machine 

Edited by Bazza

update the rotation is back.and the machine is working..I After the needle broke I replaced the needle but I used th retention hole above the one I was always using, and it was hitting against the thread guide. Good thing I always manually rotate the handwheel after any adjustments to make sure everything is clear.

But what is that cable? I must have been there for a reason.!!

We do need photos of the whole machine and any identifying plates or lettering. Otherwise we won’t know what to look for.

[EDIT] I clearly have too much time on my hands. Started looking at parts diagrams for Juki DDL machines. The Juki DDL-9000 parts diagram shows a thread tension release wire (marked red) on page 7, so that’s a good candidate for the function of your cable. Your machine is likely a copy or Frankenstein of some older Juki designs. 

image.png

Edited by Uwe

I have a Juki ddl-555 and the parts look a lot like the one Uwe showed.  I had no idea the thread tension release is cable actuated.

When it worked, as you raised the presser foot it would release tension on the upper thread allowing you to pull the item out easier.   An machine works without it, it’s just not as easy to use.

Since your wire only has one end intact, I’ll bet you would have to replace the entire wire with a new one - there’s a little bracket in the shadows somewhere that we can’t see in the picture.  There’s a small chance a Juki part would work, but it’s a wild guess and these old machines can be bought fully functional for well under $100 so it would be better to buy a different machine and sell this one.

On 3/28/2023 at 11:30 PM, DonInReno said:

I have a Juki ddl-555 and the parts look a lot like the one Uwe showed.  I had no idea the thread tension release is cable actuated.

When it worked, as you raised the presser foot it would release tension on the upper thread allowing you to pull the item out easier.   An machine works without it, it’s just not as easy to use.

Since your wire only has one end intact, I’ll bet you would have to replace the entire wire with a new one - there’s a little bracket in the shadows somewhere that we can’t see in the picture.  There’s a small chance a Juki part would work, but it’s a wild guess and these old machines can be bought fully functional for well under $100 so it would be better to buy a different machine and sell this one.

Hi there thnx for replying..Thing is,,the machine still releases the thread. I cant actually remember if it was easier before oI still have the cable.Uwe ,,how is it reinstalled.? What was it connected to according to your records?

I’ve never seen one of those cable things in real life, just in that diagram I posted earlier. I don’t know the steps to replace one, sorry. 

I apparently also have too much time on my hands because I went and looked at the linked diagram, specifically page 7 and 8 (the list of part names), I see that the cable is obviously connected to the lifting mechanism but I don't understand why.

Look at the full diagram, there's a handle on the back of the machine (part #22) that appears to operate the release mechanism directly and a couple of rods (parts 5 & 13) that appear to connect directly to the knee lifter from the release mechanism.

I also notice that the mystery cable doesn't have a number, part number or name associated with it. And it doesn't show the lower end of the cable connected to anything.

Very odd.

(EDIT) I think we have the shoe on the wrong foot. Maybe operating the lift/release mechanism causes that cable to perform some other function.

Edited by AlZilla

OK, how about this ... does the machine have an automatic thread trimmer and it's activated by the cable when the presser foot is lifted?

Can you replace the cable with an inexpensive bicycle cable...crimp down both ends..

Interesting data and manual if indeed that's the OP's machine. IF it is, the manual says that thread tension will be released when the thread trimmer does it's thing. The cable is related to that trimmer, and is part #36 in the listing, calling it a "thread tension release wire". IF it is the machine, the wire doesn't come into use until the trimmer is used then. Now if I could just learn to sew.