Pappys Leather

Rough side of leather

What do you do when the rough side of leather that is inside of a holster is really rough? I really don't want to line it.

I wet it and use glycerine saddle soap and a glass slicker .

7 hours ago, Pappys Leather said:

What do you do when the rough side of leather that is inside of a holster is really rough? I really don't want to line it.

I use tokonole and slick it down.  I don't have a glass slicker so I use a boning tool.

Al Stohlman sanded it. That was for 'rough out' work, but no reason it can't be done for other uses.

Seal the dickens out of it and slick it down.

Sand off the "big" pieces . . . then make sure the interior also gets a good coat of Resolene . . . 

Works for me.

May God bless,

Dwight

6 hours ago, LeatherModiste said:

If you don't want to put lining inside your holster then you should try to soften the insides by conditioners or other such things. 

And if you do that . . . it will leach out to the outside of the holster . . . making it soft as well.

Besides that . . . conditioners will also shove moisture up against a metal weapon . . . rust and corrosion are then the problem.

May God bless,

Dwight

Unless something has to be glued, I always dye  and seal the inside ( flesh side) of   everything  I make. Always have done.  

HS

You can put conditioner on the rough side as it will help soften the leather and make it wearable. 

36 minutes ago, hotleatherworlds said:

You can put conditioner on the rough side as it will help soften the leather and make it wearable. 

And if that conditioner rubs against the steel parts of a beautiful gun . . . in short order . . . you will be doing whatever you have to do to get rid of the RUST the conditioner caused on your gun.

Conditioner is for handbags . . . shoes . . . boots . . . and sometimes belts.  NEVER for a holster.

May God bless,

Dwight

Sand it just like a piece of wood. Use finer and finer grits until you are satisfied and then apply resoline. It will fuzz up some so sand it down again and reapply. It will never be as smooth as lined will though.