Tango99

How to make a USGI M1916 leather holster?

To all I am trying to build a replica m1916 leather holster. I was able to get all the leather pieces from an old company that made it except the solid piece inside the holster.  Does anyone know the dimensions of that piece and what it was made of originally?

any assistance would be appreciated 

12 minutes ago, Tango99 said:

To all I am trying to build a replica m1916 leather holster. I was able to get all the leather pieces from an old company that made it except the solid piece inside the holster.  Does anyone know the dimensions of that piece and what it was made of originally?

any assistance would be appreciated 

search function is your friend.   

Chuck

Thanks, I am going to tinker and see it I can make the hand rest with leather. My wood working kung fu is not good

j

1 hour ago, Tango99 said:

Chuck

Thanks, I am going to tinker and see it I can make the hand rest with leather. My wood working kung fu is not good

j

I'll bet you can, cant wait to see it !!

I have these Mil. Spec. pattern files. Do not recall where they came from - not sure if they help you.

I have more but cannot upload them - files are too big

Colt 1911 Holster + Mag Pouch Pattern (3).jpg

Colt 1911 Holster + Mag Pouch Pattern (1).jpg

Colt_1911_Holster_+_Mag_Pouch_Pattern_(2).jpg

Edited by Constabulary

19 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

I have these Mil. Spec. pattern files. Do not recall where they came from - not sure if they help you.

Nice stuff, but how would a person go about printing them to be a usable pattern? Looks like they're enormous.

9 minutes ago, AlZilla said:

Nice stuff, but how would a person go about printing them to be a usable pattern? Looks like they're enormous.

you print them out and make sure the 1/2" squares  the pattern is drawn on are 1/2" . that will take some resizing  I'm sure.

7 hours ago, AlZilla said:

print shop prolly do it for a dollar er two.

Thanks all for the tremendous response. I appreciate your support to this new leather crafter.

were the original handrest made out of leather, wood, plastic?

3 hours ago, JLSleather said:

print shop prolly do it for a dollar er two.

Nah, the last time I looked at prints larger than 11x17, it was $50 or $75. Not that I want to make that particular holster, I was just curious in general.

8 hours ago, AlZilla said:

Nah, the last time I looked at prints larger than 11x17, it was $50 or $75. Not that I want to make that particular holster, I was just curious in general.

I was a bit curious about this so I checked with FedEx Office. For an A0 print (approx. 3'x4') their price is $9. 

46 minutes ago, GatoGordo said:

I was a bit curious about this so I checked with FedEx Office. For an A0 print (approx. 3'x4') their price is $9. 

Well, that would be worthwhile just to have on hand.  Maybe I should re-visit it.

Nice find.

3 hours ago, AlZilla said:

Well, that would be worthwhile just to have on hand.  Maybe I should re-visit it.

Nice find.

they would be cool framed and hung on the wall.

Thanks all for the tremendous response. I appreciate your support to this new leather crafter.

were the original handrest made out of leather, wood, plastic?

What is an AO print?

3 hours ago, Tango99 said:

What is an AO print?

A0 refers to one of the paper sizes generally used by printers in Europe.  A0 is the largest in the A series at 841x1189 mm (roughly 33x47 inches). A1 is half of A0, A2 is half of A1, and so on until A10 (26x37mm or 1x1.5 inches). Our standard "letter" size (8.5x11 inches) is roughly the same as A4 (210x297mm).

There are also B and C sizes that start larger than the A series (1000x1414mm door B0 and 917x1297 for C0), but they follow the same half sheet per step idea as the A series.

/dwight

Thanks Dwight