SmithLAFD

Sewing Across Different Thicknesses

I am sewing a golf card holder w/ layers that are 3-4oz(like a large wallet.) When sewing the outside border it goes from 3 layers to a single layer then to 2 layers. The stitch looks good on the 2 and 3 layer portion but on the single layer it becomes extremely loose.  Are there any tricks to do this in a single pass to make the stitching look consistent? I am assuming it is because of the top/bottom tensions should be specific to the thickness of what you are sewing. Is the only way to stop readjust tension then continue, then readjust again? I am using a Juki 341 clone cylinder arm walking foot for reference. All help is appreciated. 

It is not unusual to have to change the top tension on the run. Normally you would have the tension set for doing the thicker part then as you get down to the thinner parts work out if a half a turn or more out is enough to keep the stitching centered. Usually the knots come to the top on the thin stuff so loosening is what has to happen. If the thread is too thick to center into a single layer alright then nothing will help except thinner thread. Another suggestion and just MY opinion ...on the 341 don'. t go over the little post beside the tension discs as nearly all the videos seem to show. Show me where it is done this way in the Juki manual if you like. Thinner threads will file a track in that post and cause you no end of grief when it starts to serrate the thicker threads.