ArkieNewbie

Wood Leather Coaster Mashup

I mixed a few of my hobbies together on this project. I laser engraved on wood and then glued the wood rounds down to leather and cut them out. I think they turned out pretty great! What do y'all think?

Coasters 1.jpg

Coasters 2.jpg

Coasters 3.jpg

Coasters 4.jpg

Coasters 5.jpg

Coasters 6.jpg

Coasters 7.jpg

pretty cool.  Thought about engraving your maker's mark in the leather too?

They look good but I'm curious as to why you waste good leather on the bottom. I laser engrave the leather  to make coasters.

coaster (Copy).jpg

51 minutes ago, Bert03241 said:

They look good but I'm curious as to why you waste good leather on the bottom. I laser engrave the leather  to make coasters.

coaster (Copy).jpg

Thanks! I thought it was a cool look and took the place of cork on the bottom. I used small "scrap" pieces I had laying around so I didn't sacrifice much. 

I have some rounders I bought from SLC I plan to use as well. I need to invest in a round cutting die. 

Those are very nice !  I really like the flanky leather on the DAR one :thumbsup: , I think I have a problem but I just like the look of flanky leather .

Very nice work!

2 hours ago, Gezzer said:

Those are very nice !  I really like the flanky leather on the DAR one :thumbsup: , I think I have a problem but I just like the look of flanky leather .

Thank you sir! I agree! I have used wrinkled flank pieces as accent pieces on bags before. I really like the look it gives and I hate wasting leather. I'm always looking for ways to use the less desirable pieces. This was a perfect opportunity to use it somewhere it didn't need to have structural integrity

2 hours ago, BigBore said:

Very nice work!

Thanks!

4 hours ago, ArkieNewbie said:

Thanks! I thought it was a cool look and took the place of cork on the bottom. I used small "scrap" pieces I had laying around so I didn't sacrifice much. 

I have some rounders I bought from SLC I plan to use as well. I need to invest in a round cutting die. 

Why do you need a round cutting die when you have a laser engraver? I cut all my leather with the laser.

15 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

Why do you need a round cutting die when you have a laser engraver? I cut all my leather with the laser.

I have not had very good luck cutting with my laser. It is only a 5.5W diode laser. It takes me about 10 passes to cut 3/4oz. I haven't tried to cut anything thicker. 

2 hours ago, ArkieNewbie said:

I have not had very good luck cutting with my laser. It is only a 5.5W diode laser. It takes me about 10 passes to cut 3/4oz. I haven't tried to cut anything thicker. 

i see

2 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

i see

I would love to upgrade to a higher power co2 laser but it's just not in the budget right now. A sewing machine is first on my machine priority list right now. 

those are cool!!

On 3/14/2023 at 12:11 PM, ArkieNewbie said:

I need to invest in a round cutting die. 

They look great.  Boy, I would love to invest in a laser!  I don't know enough about them but the Glow Forge that's been advertised would be a cool start. 

15 hours ago, JayEhl said:

They look great.  Boy, I would love to invest in a laser!  I don't know enough about them but the Glow Forge that's been advertised would be a cool start. 

whoa what ever you do don't buy a glow forge. there way over priced and you can get a real co2 laser for less money and you'll be a lot happier .

On 3/17/2023 at 1:22 AM, Bert03241 said:

whoa what ever you do don't buy a glow forge.

LOL, i was visiting a friend of mine about and he said the same thing.  Because a wifi is required, that will be the deal breaker.    Thank you for your advice, too!  .   

On 3/17/2023 at 1:22 AM, Bert03241 said:

whoa what ever you do don't buy a glow forge. there way over priced and you can get a real co2 laser for less money and you'll be a lot happier .

Exactly what Bert said. Do not buy a glow forge. Glow forge is really good at marketing and they do A LOT of it. But from what I've heard the many many downsides out weigh the up. 

The laser I have is $289, so not a huge investment. The diode laser does have limitations as I listed above. I still want a C02 laser but I'm constrained by the space in my shop.