Fraulein

Embossing coasters with an arbor press

I've heard of people using 1-ton arbor press from harbor freight to stamp leather. Wondering if anybody here has experience doing bigger stamps with it. I'm looking at getting ~3.5" x 3.5" delrin stamp to do coasters, but not sure of the best way to get a good impression with something that size. Thanks for any advice!

~Frau~

I have one about that size . . . USMC . . . and the only way I get a good impression on that is with my 6 ton press . . . going around it a bit at a time.

A 1 ton arbor would probably only do very light impressions . . . unless they were very sharp edged . . . and I'd wonder about it even then.

May God bless,

Dwight

I use a Tandy press of 1.25 tons. My biggest stamp is 70mm x 70mm. My stamps are made of brass. For all my large brass stamps, from 40 x 40mm upwards; As I stamp I 'walk' the piece around. I start in the centre, which kinda-of locks it in position,  then a corner and each corner in turn. After the corners I do mid-way between between each corner, then on the largest stamps I do mid-way between each corner and the centre and along this line each point mid-way between the corners, about 17 pressings in all. I might do them all over with slightly more pressure on the second run. It all sounds long but actually very quick to do

Delrin should be ok as a stamp but I'd siggest you get a piece of 3mm thick steel plate to go between the ram and the stamp. The ram will press divots into the delrin surface ruining it. I have a thick piece of Delrin as a base and if I dont cover it with a steel plate my brass stamp, through the leather, leaves a slight impression

hth

Edited by fredk

Thanks for the input guys! Was hoping I could do it with a cheap little arbor press but clearly gonna need something more for a stamp that big after hearing your input. Found a clicker press on Amazon under $300 that won't break the bank so I think I'll try that for my coaster project. Thanks again!

~Frau~

I have an imported arbor press. I assume it is a 2 ton as it has a "2: on it. I wet coasters and stamp them with a 2.75 inch brass stamp. It presses it fine. I have a bracket I hook it into the  wall (sitting on the floor) and sometimes use a cheater pipe depending on my mood and how weak I feel that day.  I have a 6 ton hydraulic I use too and it does it barely trying. 

1 hour ago, 327fed said:

I have an imported arbor press. I assume it is a 2 ton as it has a "2: on it. I wet coasters and stamp them with a 2.75 inch brass stamp. It presses it fine. I have a bracket I hook it into the  wall (sitting on the floor) and sometimes use a cheater pipe depending on my mood and how weak I feel that day.  I have a 6 ton hydraulic I use too and it does it barely trying. 

I was looking into the hydraulic presses too. Did you have to do any modifications or add anything to it to make it work for stamping leather? Thanks!

I just put a piece of 2 x 6 under the work, use  a stamping pad under the leather (not sure what these are, black rubber that cushions the stamp and work) and a small steel plate laying on top of the stamp to spread the pressure out as the press has a 1 inch arbor that does the pressing. I use a steel plate with the arbor press too on the larger stamps.  For the larger stamps and especially the nylon/deldrin/3d printed ones you need to have this. You really don't need to use the whole force of the press or you will deform the leather piece or break the stamp.  Just  barely get it tight.  That is hard for me to do as I am used to doing metal work where you use all the force of the press.  You could make a hydraulic one with a bottle jack  and some channel if you have a drill press and a welder. Used to be some plans floating around, probably a table top one would be better for a leather shop, although mine is free standing. 

1 hour ago, 327fed said:

I just put a piece of 2 x 6 under the work, use  a stamping pad under the leather (not sure what these are, black rubber that cushions the stamp and work) and a small steel plate laying on top of the stamp to spread the pressure out as the press has a 1 inch arbor that does the pressing. I use a steel plate with the arbor press too on the larger stamps.  For the larger stamps and especially the nylon/deldrin/3d printed ones you need to have this. You really don't need to use the whole force of the press or you will deform the leather piece or break the stamp.  Just  barely get it tight.  That is hard for me to do as I am used to doing metal work where you use all the force of the press.  You could make a hydraulic one with a bottle jack  and some channel if you have a drill press and a welder. Used to be some plans floating around, probably a table top one would be better for a leather shop, although mine is free standing. 

Thank you so much! It's so hard to find info out there for embossing leather with a press like that.

~Frau~

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/small-bench-top-hydraulic-press-10-ton-x-8.95311/

Here is a shop made press with a Porta Power cylinder to press. I would probably get the tiniest Harbor Freight bottle jack, make a little carriage with a spring, extend the press frame to allow the Jack to fit inside the press. I will send a pic of my monster press later for example. 

On 3/15/2023 at 6:24 PM, Fraulein said:

I've heard of people using 1-ton arbor press from harbor freight to stamp leather. Wondering if anybody here has experience doing bigger stamps with it. I'm looking at getting ~3.5" x 3.5" delrin stamp to do coasters, but not sure of the best way to get a good impression with something that size. Thanks for any advice!

~Frau~

A 1 ton Arbor press does all I need in the way of em/debossing. My regular "handle" is longer than the standard one and if that's not enough I put a longer tube over that. Of course the size of the stamp comes into it but before spending more money I'll dampen the leather to get a deeper impression, or if you make sure it doesn't move you can walk around it as has been mentioned already. If your stamps are brass you can heat them up some which will "brand" the leather or most other things also which will give a nice deeper impression with much more contrast.

HF sells - or did sell, assume they stil do - a 6-ton model for pretty CHEAP.  Table top size.  Use a piece of steel behind a plastic stamp that size.

The smallest one Harbor Freight sells now is a 12 ton floor model. Cheap enough but overkill. 

Dont know where you are located but I have seen several hydraulic and arbor presses on Facebook Marketplace lately. Seems like arbor presses are higher than hydraulic ones. 

Edited by 327fed