mikesherman

Barry King checkered bevelers

Hey All!

I'm stoked...after 20 years of this leatherworking thing, I finally sprung for some shiny new Barry King checkered bevelers! I can't wait to put them to use on some floral carvings. I ordered them Tuesday; wasn't expecting them for a week or so, but Fedex Claus just dropped em off! Just wanted to share...

Mike

I sprung for some BK tools past winter after the wife got me a gift certificate from them. What a difference. After using the extra steep checkered beveler I just can't use anything else. 

1 hour ago, Hags said:

I sprung for some BK tools past winter after the wife got me a gift certificate from them. What a difference. After using the extra steep checkered beveler I just can't use anything else. 

Have you ever used any 30 degree bevels before because I almost ordered a set from BK today? The reason, if you've ever watched Don Gonzales video he uses the 30 degree and had said don't get the extra steep ones. So I called him and talked about the pros and cons because I currently have and love a set of 40 degree (extra steep) checkered. I found out I had a 30 degree one (albeit smooth) and did a side by side and the width of the burnish and compression was noticeable. Had a nice gal from BK send me a picture of the 30 and there is such a tiny difference  have you ever compared them?

Burkhardt - I've never used steep bevelers before...I''ve wanted them for a long time, and I did tons of research before making a decision. Last year I was visiting my son in TX and drove down to Moulton to visit Don's shop. Great guy, he showed me around, talked to me some about his work, etc. One of the things I asked him about was the BK bevelers, and he said much the same...he has the 30 degree bevelers and has never looked back.

I just gave them a workout on a Western Rose craftaid pattern...I'm in love with them already. They're easy to run and the linework on a crowded floral pattern is a million times better. I suppose one day I might take a look at the xtra steep ones, but for now I'm pretty stoked.

No, I have not compared them. For my tooling this works fine. If I did more sheridan style, that might change. 

19 hours ago, mikesherman said:

Burkhardt - I've never used steep bevelers before...I''ve wanted them for a long time, and I did tons of research before making a decision. Last year I was visiting my son in TX and drove down to Moulton to visit Don's shop. Great guy, he showed me around, talked to me some about his work, etc. One of the things I asked him about was the BK bevelers, and he said much the same...he has the 30 degree bevelers and has never looked back.

I just gave them a workout on a Western Rose craftaid pattern...I'm in love with them already. They're easy to run and the linework on a crowded floral pattern is a million times better. I suppose one day I might take a look at the xtra steep ones, but for now I'm pretty stoked.

18 hours ago, Hags said:

No, I have not compared them. For my tooling this works fine. If I did more sheridan style, that might change. 

It so strange when you think of something 5ft long that;s 10 degrees different is noticeable. But, when it's a 1/4in. you wouldn't think it would make much of a difference

On 3/15/2023 at 6:11 PM, mikesherman said:

Hey All!

I'm stoked...after 20 years of this leatherworking thing, I finally sprung for some shiny new Barry King checkered bevelers! I can't wait to put them to use on some floral carvings. I ordered them Tuesday; wasn't expecting them for a week or so, but Fedex Claus just dropped em off! Just wanted to share...

Mike

Well I have to say that I'm having crow for dinner because when you wrote you ordered on Tuesday and you got them on Wed I thought you were fos. I placed my order at 3:00p.m. on Thursday and said the order should be here on Tue. Fair enough, got up today (Friday) and noticed tracks in driveway and looked on my steps and there sat my order from BK.

Burkhardt - at least it's a good reason for eating crow - LOL...