Fraulein

First Purse

After almost three years of leather working my biggest project to date, purse for my Grandma. Made to her design specifications with a front pocket for phone, back pockets for keys and a small notebook, detachable shoulder strap, and zipper. Added her initial to the front pocket to give it a personal detail.

I used a 4-5 oz. veg dyed light brown with dark brown antique. Will probably stick to chrome tan for purses from now on as that is a LOT of dye work. Pretty happy with it but always welcome critiques and advice!

IMG_20230304_174924001.thumb.jpg.5bb6a8b630f8475292e742b98e28e8cd.jpg

IMG_20230304_174815492.jpg

Black fabric lining with pockets sewn on the sides

IMG_20230304_174943840_HDR.jpg

~Frau~

Edited by Fraulein

Very nice! She will be quite happy with that. I like the liner too.

19 minutes ago, Fraulein said:

Pretty happy with it but always welcome critiques and advice!

I think you have done pretty good on most details. Only thing I can offer is that the D attachment pieces could have been used to cover the side seam join at the top line. I am sure she will treasure it anyways.:thumbsup:

Love that stamping pattern on the pockets.  Great job.  

28 minutes ago, PastorBob said:

Love that stamping pattern on the pockets.  Great job.  

I'd agree and I think laying out the grid was a stroke of genius. I always have trouble staying symmetrical when stamping. I'll be incorporating grid lines going forward ... :)

11 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

I think you have done pretty good on most details. Only thing I can offer is that the D attachment pieces could have been used to cover the side seam join at the top line. I am sure she will treasure it anyways.:thumbsup:

Good catch.  That would definitely improve the aesthetics.  

The lining looks really good, well executed.  The stitching all around looks very nice.  The only thing I might consider changing is the attachment of the handles.  Nothing "wrong" with them, just not my favorite method.  

I echo the comment regarding the stamping pattern on the pockets, it really sets this piece apart.

Thanks for sharing this with us!

Thanks for all the compliments everyone! I'll definitely have to try that with the D ring attachments, thanks for the suggestion @RockyAussie!

Also, agree about the handle attachment @Tugadude, aesthetically not my favorite, but I do like how they stay up so it's easier to grab.

That stamping on the back pocket is one of my favorite designs. I put it on everything; belts, wallets, notebook covers, you name it.

IMG_20230316_080829006_HDR.jpg

~Frau~

Edited by Fraulein

What you have there Fraulein is a signature.  It is unique to your work and sets you apart from the herd.  Keep it up!  A lot of leatherwork begins to look the same after a while.  This is a great way to differentiate and I applaud you.

That's beautiful.  The stamping on the pockets is a real nice accent.  I'm sure your grandmother will love it.

I finally have seen one of the don't ever use stamps part of the 20 you get online used and what a great look. Is that where you got yours from one of the 20 kits?

1 hour ago, Burkhardt said:

I finally have seen one of the don't ever use stamps part of the 20 you get online used and what a great look. Is that where you got yours from one of the 20 kits?

Thanks! That stamp came with a cheap leatherwork beginners set off Amazon when I first started. Probably the same as the 20 kits you're referring to. Been using it for 3 years or so. I know it's not a great quality stamp but I'm impressed with how well it's been doing.

Nice work Granma Will be happy:thumbsup:

YUP,  DittO Grandma will certainly be happy, and so am I for seeing a work of beauty,

as Tugadude says a Signature. and if you don't mind I'de like to use (your signature here and there myself) ?

and too, the bag in my opinion is a nice variation from the norm .Nice work Fraulein !

18 minutes ago, Wild Bill46 said:

YUP,  DittO Grandma will certainly be happy, and so am I for seeing a work of beauty,

as Tugadude says a Signature. and if you don't mind I'de like to use (your signature here and there myself) ?

and too, the bag in my opinion is a nice variation from the norm .Nice work Fraulein !

Go for it! You're welcome to use that design all you want. My philosophy is always to share and learn from others so we can all put bits and pieces together to come up with new designs

The bag looks great, I like the initial and the stamping inspires me to look at the unused stamps from my set :)

What I personally don't particularly like is open outside pockets for important things like phone and keys...

10 hours ago, Klara said:

The bag looks great, I like the initial and the stamping inspires me to look at the unused stamps from my set :)

What I personally don't particularly like is open outside pockets for important things like phone and keys...

I agree, the pockets are not my favorite as far as security, but when I designed it my Grandma wanted them that way for ease of access because she's older

I like it ;)

Your main bag has a "crumpled" look that I think actually adds to the overall look. :thumbsup:

That said, if you like working with veg tan (tooling/skirting) leather, Wickett-Craig sells VERY nice DRUM DYED skirting, and they'll split it to the thickness you ask for.   Over the years, the brown may vary a bit but the chestnut is quite nice, as is the black.  And it's unfinished, so you can still stamp, tool, or form it before applying finish.  Cut your parts out and they all match, and the dye is all done and all even and consistent.

https://wickett-craig.com/leathers/skirting/

Great job!

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

I like it ;)

Your main bag has a "crumpled" look that I think actually adds to the overall look. :thumbsup:

That said, if you like working with veg tan (tooling/skirting) leather, Wickett-Craig sells VERY nice DRUM DYED skirting, and they'll split it to the thickness you ask for.   Over the years, the brown may vary a bit but the chestnut is quite nice, as is the black.  And it's unfinished, so you can still stamp, tool, or form it before applying finish.  Cut your parts out and they all match, and the dye is all done and all even and consistent.

https://wickett-craig.com/leathers/skirting/

Thank you so much! That's a great tip, I'll certainly be using it for my future bags! Thank you!!

1 hour ago, Samalan said:

Great job!

Thanks!